What is the difference between mfl and anl files ?

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
chippy

What is the difference between mfl and anl files ?

Post by chippy »

Just got Harbal and I am finding it quite good so far. :D what a great tool :D

I must say that for anyone who is also just starting using this like I am, you will find it won't fix a poor mix but it will make a good mix sound very nice :wink: . So if your mix or your clients mixes are sounding bad even after using HarBal its best to remix them to get the best sound.

Sorry if this is already in the help files but I couldn't find any info
What is the difference between mfl and anl files?

thanks Daz
you play it, we record it and he will make the tea
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Not a problem Daz. The difference between and mfl and an anl file is what it represents. An analysis file (.anl) is a file containing the spectrum analysis of a given wave file. A filter file (.mfl) is a file containing the frequency response of the HarBal EQ filter designed for a given track.

Regards,

Paavo.
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: What is the difference between mfl and anl files ?

Post by har-bal »

chippy wrote:Just got Harbal and I am finding it quite good so far. :D what a great tool :D

I must say that for anyone who is also just starting using this like I am, you will find it won't fix a poor mix but it will make a good mix sound very nice :wink: . So if your mix or your clients mixes are sounding bad even after using HarBal its best to remix them to get the best sound.

Sorry if this is already in the help files but I couldn't find any info
What is the difference between mfl and anl files?

thanks Daz

Daz

Let me just add onto my partner's explanation.
If you load any sound files into Har-Bal it will create a small 3kb "anl" file that may be used as a reference for any other song you load into the program. It will always be stored in the same directory as your source file.

Okay...let's talk about a "mfl" file.
If you load a file into Har-Bal and make a number of adjustments you can create a filter that may be applied to any other song thus preventing the need to manipulate the spectrum each time.

So....an anl file is great for capturing the spectral image of any song and a mfl file allows you to save your settings and apply it elsewhere (another song)

Cheers

Earle
chippy

Post by chippy »

Thank you Paavo and Earle

I am still learning the program, but having great fun doing so.

Daz
you play it, we record it and he will make the tea