Eq'ing Individual instruments in Mix

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Anil Singh

Eq'ing Individual instruments in Mix

Post by Anil Singh »

Bass
Some suggestions for bass punch using eq?

Guitar
Some suggestions for all round guitar sound?

Kicks
Some suggestions for tight and punchy kick?

I'm getting very confused as to how to manipulate these frequencies
There are so many different suggestions but there is also a standard,
does anyone know these standards and or where I can aquire them?

Thank
"Knowledge is power"
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Help

Post by har-bal »

Anil Singh wrote:Bass
Some suggestions for bass punch using eq?

Guitar
Some suggestions for all round guitar sound?

Kicks
Some suggestions for tight and punchy kick?

I'm getting very confused as to how to manipulate these frequencies
There are so many different suggestions but there is also a standard,
does anyone know these standards and or where I can aquire them?

Thank
"Knowledge is power"
Anil

Settings are below.

Bass
Start by rolling all the bottom off (from 100Hz and lower) then use the "low-mid" E.Q. to find the bass sound you want. Then slowly dial back the low frequencies to taste. Most of the "punch" comes from the "low-mid" range.

Cut "highs" during mixing. A bass track that sounds good "soloed" is NOT appropriate for many mixes. Cut the deep lows (150Hz and below.) They can swamp the playback equipment. Boost 1 to 2kHz for "fret noise" (may sound ugly "soloed" but adds articulation in the mix !) Try to cut and bring level up rather than boost. Make sure "kick" & "bass" aren't in the same area of the spectrum.

The lower the volume the quieter the low frequencies. Check mix at different volumes. E.Q. settings should be finalized in the context of the complete mix.

Guitar
Two similar sounding guitars can be seperated by adding "bite" at different frequencies - at 3kHz on one and at 4kHz on the other, or at 2kHz on one and at 3kHz on the other.

To get rid of "boomy, boxey" sound = cut between 100Hz & 250Hz.

To fatten "thin" sound = boost between 100Hz and 250Hz.

To accentuate "cabinet clunk" = boost at around 75 to 90Hz.

To add "bite" = boost between 2kHz and 6kHz. (Don't boost above 4kHz unless the guitar is D.I.'d.)

Rolling off E.Q. above 3 to 4kHz (using filters or a parametric equalizer ) can remove high frequency hiss. *

Rolling off E.Q. below 100Hz (using filters or a parametric equalizer ) can remove low frequency rumble. *

Kick Drum

KICK - (Gain should be peaking around - 3dB VU). a) Boost 2dB at 100Hz for "bottom", cut 2dB at 300 to 500Hz for "posterity" and boost 2dB at 2.5k for "attack". b) Boost 80 to 100Hz for "bass", cut around 200 to 600Hz to avoid conflict with other instruments and eliminate "tubbyness". c) For dance orientated song & "click" sound - boost 3 to 4k. d) "Elephant's kick" = Use Filter to boost highs (wide bandwidth) boost bass (medium bandwidth) and cut mids at 400Hz (very narrow bandwidth).

Enjoy

Earle
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

Though it's much the same, I have always found this article kinda helpful...I used it to make some presets in my parametric EQ's to work as starting points for my mixing.

http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/ ... tory&id=38
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

dbmasters wrote:Though it's much the same, I have always found this article kinda helpful...I used it to make some presets in my parametric EQ's to work as starting points for my mixing.

http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/ ... tory&id=38
Perfect...thanks Dan!

Earle
Anil Singh

Thanks

Post by Anil Singh »

Thank you Gentleman.
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

"to make a passive bass sound active, scoop around 350 hz"

Being a bass player, I like that one!

what do you mean by scoop, bowl?