New User: How to overlay green line on Reference line?

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
wandersen

New User: How to overlay green line on Reference line?

Post by wandersen »

I just purchased and installed HAR-BAL 2.0 a few days ago. So far, it is clear to me that HAR-BAL is and will be very helpful and useful. Without my really knowing what I was doing, my first exercise was loading a reference ("Here I Go Again" by Kim Richey) to use as a guide for one of our songs.

I should mention I have been continually frustrated by mud in my mixes and lack of definition. So I designed my filter to follow, fairly closely, with the reference (probably more than I should). Anyway, the result was a dramatic improvement. No mud, very punchy and clear bass, great clarity overall (even maybe a little too much). So my initial effort with HAR-BAL was a success, all things considered. :D

So NOW I'm trying to learn all the in's and out's of using HAR-BAL properly. This morning I registered for a forum account. While waiting for it to be activated, I wrote out a list of questions I was going to ask. But while waiting I browsed the forum and found answers to all but one of my questions. Pretty cool !!!

Sooooo..... (finally) here is my question:

In the help file and elsewhere, it is suggested to overlay your song's green line on top of the reference song's green line (which would be appropriate if the recording levels were much different). So my question is really two-fold.....

1. How DO you "overlay" (i.e. move) the entire spectrum line? In other words (in case that's not clear) how do you "move" the entire green spectrum line in one step/action?

2. When you do this, does that actually change the EQ?

Sorry if I've missed something in the help file that says how to do this. But I would appreciate help with this.

Thanks
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Bill,

Glad to hear Har-Bal has been a help to you.

To overlay the green line of your track ontop of the reference, select the parameteric EQ tool, click and hold down the left mouse button on the spectrum and depress and hold down the zero ("0") key. Now just drag the mouse up or down to the extent needed to overlay the spectrum. When overlayed release the mouse button.

Cheers,

Paavo.
wandersen

Post by wandersen »

Thanks Paavo. How about my second question?:

Does moving the entire spectrum (green line) actually affect the EQ? Does it actually boost (or cut) all frequencies when moving it up or down?
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Bill,

I'll give you a clue. Have a look at the frequency response curve before and after the change and tell me what you see. Try toggling the EQ on and off after the change and tell me what changes you hear. The honest answer is it has no affect on the sound, as it should.

Paavo.
wired

filter files or ref files?

Post by wired »

you probably told us this before, however, i was wondering if you could open a filter or ref, and match your new audio job to it exactly , like an overlay, not an adjustment of parametrics, and 'see' it not just hear it