What is the BEST limiter/maximizer ??

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
Frederic

What is the BEST limiter/maximizer ??

Post by Frederic »

Hi !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would know what is the BEST limiter/maximizer plugin?

I use Sonic Timeworks mastering compressor because he improves the RMS and the colour of the sound of my tracks.
The Kjaerhus golden peak pressor has got a very good colour of sound BUT he can't improve the RMS as Sonic Timeworks mastering compressor.
Also the PK3 mastering limiter is very good but he don't work with Wavelab (when I render the PK3 doesn't apply my values...).

I know the others limiters are not performant... (Waves, Voxengo...).

We are together !!!!

Fred
doogle

Post by doogle »

Hi buddy,
for simply increasing the volume, L2 from waves is best, but it when you push it hard it
tends to pump slightly and give the audio a warm result.
For transparent limiting izotope holds up very well without colouring the sound too much.
Ive also heard the wave-arts limiter is very transparent.
For a good whack check out the T-Racks preset the legendary guys on this forum have come across.
Cheers
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

While I wouldn't call it the best maximizer, I really like what Magneto does, it does boost the sound, but to me it's the saturation that sells me on it...for just maximizing, I have to agree, L2 rocks.
doogle

Post by doogle »

Got to agree with you there Dan, i use Magneto all the time. Thanks to Earles advice
Great saturation. Brings out some wicked harmonics.
jazzbass12

Post by jazzbass12 »

Isnt the limiter in Har Bal just as good? Can you use this for your final limiter.
If I had a ref. with a RMS of -12 and a peak of 3, if I do Loudenss match, I should not need to export to Soundforge and use a L2?
Thanks
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

jazzbass12 wrote:Isnt the limiter in Har Bal just as good? Can you use this for your final limiter.
If I had a ref. with a RMS of -12 and a peak of 3, if I do Loudenss match, I should not need to export to Soundforge and use a L2?
Thanks

Jazzbazz

You are correct. The limiter in Har-Bal is just fine. The problem occus when the limiter is pushed too hard. If you are going for loudness use a wideband compressor.

In Har-Bal I generally increase the gain until I can see (one) dot in the meter and that usually translates between -11 and -12dB's which is suitable for commercial whil still maintaining the punch.

Paavo and I have a major surprise coming up in the next version which will be 1/12th Octave Resolution.
The sound is out of this world and you will not have the slighest bit of tinniness generally associated with digital software.
I have actually mastered an entire album just using the new version of Har-Bal.

I have tested it on the worst tracks I can find and was blown away at the improvement.

We are looking at January 2007 for a release date.

Cheers

Earle
Last edited by har-bal on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzbass12

Post by jazzbass12 »

cool..Jan 7 is my birthday....
jazzbass12

Post by jazzbass12 »

So,
I would put my wave into to Har Bal. set up my eq to taste-import to Sound Forge and Multi Band Comp if need be then put backinto Har balance and then limt and add air if needed?
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

jazzbass12 wrote:So,
I would put my wave into to Har Bal. set up my eq to taste-import to Sound Forge and Multi Band Comp if need be then put backinto Har balance and then limt and add air if needed?

Jazzbass12

It's not on Jan 7th. It will be sometime in January.

You may not need to use a MultiBand Compresor when you see what 1?12 Octave resolution does for you. We just have to make sure we communicate the proper use to our customers so there can be no misunderstandings.

Cheers

Earle
Last edited by har-bal on Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzbass12

Post by jazzbass12 »

not too beat this to death..... I have a track that is on the bassy side (low end mud).
I rolled off below 45 in HB as you suggested elswhere. I then dump into SForge and try to Multi comp a fix with Wave LinMB. Any suggestion for using the MB effectivley to fix an overly bassy low end?
Thanks,
Rich O
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

jazzbass12 wrote:not too beat this to death..... I have a track that is on the bassy side (low end mud).
I rolled off below 45 in HB as you suggested elswhere. I then dump into SForge and try to Multi comp a fix with Wave LinMB. Any suggestion for using the MB effectivley to fix an overly bassy low end?
Thanks,
Rich O

Jazzbass12

Send me the track as a wave file. Go to my main site www.hdqtrz.com and upload it using the tool. I have the email address listed on the page.

Cheers

Earle
jazzbass12

Post by jazzbass12 »

The tool is saying there is a web site issue.
I will try later, i have a gig tonight so, I will try when I get home.
Thanks Earl
jazzbass12

Post by jazzbass12 »

i got the bass issue resolved with some patience.
Thanks
Hitmaker

L2 reverse engineered

Post by Hitmaker »

Hi Fred ,

To weigh in on your original question ... IMO , the 'best' limiter is one that is the clean , and offers the most flexibility in terms of controlling attack/release , mode ( RMS/peak ) , can be hard/soft , has a variable knee , and switchable/adjustable look-ahead .. Many 'mastering' limiters offer little more than a theshold .... which is very limiting ( excuse pun ) in terms of controlling tonal issues ( in other words it's difficult to avoid a harsh , thin sound ) .

The commonly praised L2 is , in my opinion , excessively minimal in control , grainy/muddy ( even after disabling ARC ) but , by substituting more suitable units , can be emulated with an upward expander ( WAVES C1/Rennaissance ) , followed by a versatile limiter .

Cheers ,

Evan .
" I hate compression with a vengeance . I avoid it . I'm a great believer in the dynamic range being preserved " Alan Parsons
uncajesse

Post by uncajesse »

I posted about a new broadband brickwall limiter I found that I really like on another thread, but i'll quote it here:
I found another great broadband brickwall limiter. It's not as transparent as Voxengo Elephant, especially on the treble transients, but for some things it just sounds better, especially if you aren't working with stuff that has very loud or very linear treble transients.

Crysonic Spectra'Phy
http://www.crysonic.com/spectraphy.html

check it out. :) I like it almost as much as Elephant all around, it really is great for stuff you need a vintage touch on at the brickwall limiter stage. In fact, it's too bad they can't release a plugin that only has the "Drive/Color" function, because that sounds wonderful.

And of course I can't finish off this post without mentioning that yes, I think Voxengo Elephant is KING of transparency, for a little OR a ton of limiting.
http://www.voxengo.com/product/elephant/

Here's my default settings for that, if you're wondering:
http://ictybtihky.com/harbal/pluginshot ... ephant.gif

I'll be posting a thread here soon, with the expanded list of my testing of various "leading" broadband brickwall limiters, as a function of THD. I think you might be surprised at how much Elephant walks all over everything else, including Waves L2. Unfortunately I won't be adding Waves L3-16 to the list, because I can't justify buying the Waves Limiter package since I won't be using it, and I sure as h-e-double-hockey-sticks can't afford Waves Carbon within the next decade and/or ever. :P