Bass Correction

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
har-bal
Site Admin

Bass Correction

Post by har-bal »

Hey folks

I just thought I would share this with you. Quite often when I receive a project to master I find that the bass region in the track is in stereo which is a definite no no if you want tight bass or if it will be placed on vinyl. This particular tool actually makes all the frequencies below whatever you choose mono (best set at 300hz) and really puts the bass in your face.

We all know the bass region of a track should be mono.

It is a free download (VST) and you can get it from here:
http://www.otiumfx.com/basslane.php

or here if there is a problem with the site.

http://hdqtrz.com/Files/otiumFX_bassLANE_VST1.2.zip

Cheers

Earle
Last edited by har-bal on Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SynthRiot

Post by SynthRiot »

Earle

YES SIR !!!

That is great !
Exactly what I have looked for.
I know the problem of "stereo bass" from cutting vinyl records for example.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards & Cheers

Nitromaniac * SynthRiot
It's the question that drives us ...
DjSolstice

Post by DjSolstice »

This is an interesting plugin, something I have not done in the past. I usually make sure the the kick is always mono and that the low basses are mono too, but this should help better.

Has anyone used this plug-in yet. What is the best way to use it. Would I be putting it on the master insert or on individual instruments, therefore using multiple plugins.

Would it be even better to use say three after each other in a chain and have three different frequency ranges starting from wide to very low. Eg,

Plug 1 in master 11.5hz - 2k Half width

Plug 2 in master 11.5hz - 500hz Quater width

Plug 3 in master 11.5hz - 120hz Total Mono

Would this work as it is technically splitting up the signal into 4 different widths, Mono, 1/4 mono, 1/2 Stereo and full stereo for anything above 2k.

The frequency values were just a random set of figures which would seem more logical to me at the mo. What does anyone else think.

Sol
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

DjSolstice wrote:This is an interesting plugin, something I have not done in the past. I usually make sure the the kick is always mono and that the low basses are mono too, but this should help better.

Has anyone used this plug-in yet. What is the best way to use it. Would I be putting it on the master insert or on individual instruments, therefore using multiple plugins.

Would it be even better to use say three after each other in a chain and have three different frequency ranges starting from wide to very low. Eg,

Plug 1 in master 11.5hz - 2k Half width

Plug 2 in master 11.5hz - 500hz Quater width

Plug 3 in master 11.5hz - 120hz Total Mono

Would this work as it is technically splitting up the signal into 4 different widths, Mono, 1/4 mono, 1/2 Stereo and full stereo for anything above 2k.

The frequency values were just a random set of figures which would seem more logical to me at the mo. What does anyone else think.

Sol

Sol

I have a favorite saying which is "There are no rules". If you are observing the stereo phase of all the frequencies you will be able to see that the low end of the spectrum up until 300hz should always be in mono since this region usually covers the bass range. It also maintains the Punch in a track.

You were asking about individual tracks. .......That is a matter of taste. I usually only apply it to the full mix because most of the instruments in the frequency range above this area are usually panned one way or another to add to the stereo effect.

Only use it as a corrective procedure and not as a tool that is now incorporated into your mastering chain.

Follow this:

1. Listen to your full mix.
2. Then decide what you need to pull out of your bag of tricks to enhance (not color) the track.

Kind of like a woman putting on makeup. It always looks better when she enhances her features and not try to change the look of her face. Although there are some special occasions where it may be necessary :)

Cheers

Earle
DjSolstice

Post by DjSolstice »

To me it seemed like a perfect tool to use on all my projects to make sure that everything below a certain frequency would end up mono. Thats why I thought it might be useful to include into my mastering chain.

Sol
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

DjSolstice wrote:To me it seemed like a perfect tool to use on all my projects to make sure that everything below a certain frequency would end up mono. Thats why I thought it might be useful to include into my mastering chain.

Sol

Sol

As long as your percussive sounds are not panned at all on your individual tracks you will be fine. The problems occurs when someone has brought you a mixed down track and the bass regions are in stereo.
This tool is more of a repairer than anything else.
Since you already know that the bass region should be in mono, by the time you arrive at the mixdown stage there would be no need to use the tool.

There are two things I check before starting to master a track.

1. The stereo image.

2. The stereo phase.

Cheers

Earle
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

DjSolstice wrote:To me it seemed like a perfect tool to use on all my projects to make sure that everything below a certain frequency would end up mono. Thats why I thought it might be useful to include into my mastering chain.

Sol

Sol

As long as your percussive sounds are not panned at all on your individual tracks you will be fine. The problems occurs when someone has brought you a previously mixed down track and the bass regions are in stereo.

This tool is more of a repairer than anything else.

Since you already know that the bass region should be in mono, by the time you arrive at the mixdown stage there would be no need to use the tool.

There are two things I check before starting to master a track.

1. The stereo image.

2. The stereo phase.

Cheers

Earle
DjSolstice

Post by DjSolstice »

When Im working on a track I tend to make the Kick and the Bass both mono
In the past I kept everything in stereo, but I notice that when making things mono, they tend to change in volume and go louder. The use for the plug in would be to ensure that the rest of the sounds mixed in with the kick and bass would also be in mono if they have any low frequencies in the track. Most of the other instruments I tend to cut around 120hz or so, so they dont have much in the way of low frequencies.

Sol
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

DjSolstice wrote:When Im working on a track I tend to make the Kick and the Bass both mono
In the past I kept everything in stereo, but I notice that when making things mono, they tend to change in volume and go louder. The use for the plug in would be to ensure that the rest of the sounds mixed in with the kick and bass would also be in mono if they have any low frequencies in the track. Most of the other instruments I tend to cut around 120hz or so, so they dont have much in the way of low frequencies.

Sol

Sol

Okay, that makes sense. I just want to make sure the folks reading this post grasp and understand the real function of this tool. There have been too many cases where I have seen mastering chains with an ungodly amount of plugins that ultimately ends up negatively affecting the overall sound of the track.

Cheers

Earle
dramsay

Earle

Post by dramsay »

When you say that the bass region of a track should be mono, what exactly do you mean? Are you saying that on the final mixdown, say from Sonar, that the bass guitar and kick should be set to mono?

Dale...
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Earle

Post by har-bal »

dramsay wrote:When you say that the bass region of a track should be mono, what exactly do you mean? Are you saying that on the final mixdown, say from Sonar, that the bass guitar and kick should be set to mono?

Dale...

Dale

I am talking about the final mixdown. The bass region in any mix especially in dance music should always be mono. When I receive an audio cd for mastering the first thing I check is to make sure the bass region 20hz - 250hz is mono. This will insure you have that nice punch folks like. If the bass region is in stereo. There will be no impact no matter how loud or how much bass you add to the track. Wide bass sounds like absolute )(*%^%&*

You will be shocked to know how many songs come to me with the bass in stereo.
Look at the tool I posted at the beginning of this forum. It will insure that your bass region is in stereo.

Earle
dramsay

Post by dramsay »

Thanks Earle. I have found everyone here very helpful. I hope I can contribute some time down the road.

Dale
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

Earle,

I finally got around to trying this plug-in today.

Seems to work very well.

I set the frequency at 250 Hz, with the '6 dB' button selected. I then set the next two dials: first one full counter-clockwise and the second full clockwise.

Processed the track, then to Har-Bal with a dash of 'Air'.

So simple, any other tips you can suggest with this plug-in?