ANL Reference Question

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
tcatzere

ANL Reference Question

Post by tcatzere »

Earle,

What is the best audio source to use for creating the most accurate anl reference files (for level only)? I'd like to create a series of them (-8db to -16db) to be used for matching loudness (average RMS). I have experimented with several different audio sources (i.e., music file, pink noise, generated tone, etc) and have noticed that each one seems to yield a different result -- the levels seem to be all over the place depending on the source used. And, because of that, I really don't know which one is accurate.

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: ANL Reference Question

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:Earle,

What is the best audio source to use for creating the most accurate anl reference files (for level only)? I'd like to create a series of them (-8db to -16db) to be used for matching loudness (average RMS). I have experimented with several different audio sources (i.e., music file, pink noise, generated tone, etc) and have noticed that each one seems to yield a different result -- the levels seem to be all over the place depending on the source used. And, because of that, I really don't know which one is accurate.

Tom

Tom

What style of music are you referring to? The best thing to do is to use examples from your genre of music that are well mastered, and have the appropiate loudness for that style. If I remember correctly you work with a lot of classical artists.
I wouldn't have an RMS value >14dB's for this style. You want to preserve the dynamic content.
Once you have found your song check the RMS value and simply rename the file based on the RMS value. You can't go wrong this way.

Cheers

Earle