Metal Mastering (HELP!!!!!)

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
Corbin King

Metal Mastering (HELP!!!!!)

Post by Corbin King »

Hello everyone!

This is my first post and I want to start out by saying thanks to Earle and Paavo for such an amazing tool!

I am in the final process of the mix and master of my band's new cd. I have the mix pretty much like I want it and while monitoring the tunes in my studio I really love the way it sounds. When I take the mixed song and then proceed to go thru the mastering stages I find that I have a very difficult time getting that super compressed very brilliant end result. This is hard to explain unless you are familiar with this genre of music. Think of the Metallica black album production but a bit more tightly mastered because of fast double bass in the songs...not so much room to breathe like the Metallica cd. The thing I'm having the hardest time with is on multiband compression, getting it squashed enough but without the "crakling" or "sizzle" when you push it too far. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

In the studio I'm using Sonar 5 Producer Edition for the mix and master.

Thanks so much!

Corbin King