Multi-band compression

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
STRMan

Multi-band compression

Post by STRMan »

I've heard that multi-band compression can really help in the mastering process. I just upgraded from Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio to Sound Forge 8.0 and the new program has a multi-band compressor. Where do I start? The compressor in this unit has 4 discreet bands. What is the preferred way to vary the compression by the different bands and what kind of center frequencies should one assign to the bands?

I realize that many of the questions I ask require subjective answers. I'm just looking for a starting point, what might work for someone using multi-band compression. Any advice?

I like the limiter in HarBal, but I'm wondering if I can improve my final product by using it in conjunction with the multi-band compressor I already have at my disposal.
"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" Benjamin Franklin
Gordon Gidluck

Post by Gordon Gidluck »

From the main index page, click on the Mastering Tutorial link under Customer Support. This should give you some ideas on how to use Har-Bal with multiband compression.

It's a good idea to balance the audio first with Har-Bal. Then apply a multiband to get the levels up.
Yram Hossoo

Multi-band mastering

Post by Yram Hossoo »

Buddy,
Go to the izotope Ozone site and download
the manual for the Izotope ozone mastering software.
Some real bright and fearless guys have boiled
this mastering business down to almost an exact science.
Har-Bal is to me also one way of doing multi band compression.
Cheers :D