Lifting vocals out of a track??

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
tcatzere

Lifting vocals out of a track??

Post by tcatzere »

A question for Earle . . .

If vocals are somewhat buried in a track and the band does not want to re-mix, I assume that using Multi-Band is about the only option available to help lift those vocals out a little.

In this situation, what is the best frequency range to use? And, should I be focusing on the vocal fundamentals -- or the harmonics?

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Lifting vocals out of a track??

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:A question for Earle . . .

If vocals are somewhat buried in a track and the band does not want to re-mix, I assume that using Multi-Band is about the only option available to help lift those vocals out a little.

In this situation, what is the best frequency range to use? And, should I be focusing on the vocal fundamentals -- or the harmonics?

Tom

Tom

Here is an option.

If the vocalist is a female I use a Q between .20 and .50 at the 6500Hz mark ...for a male vocalist I use the same Q at the 4500Hz Mark

I listen at a very low volume...almost a whisper and start lifing the vocals out.
Works every time :)

For other instruments I will perform a frequency sweep and start adjusting the Q to isolate it.

Cheers

Earle
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Earle-

Thanks for the tip -- it works beautifully!

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:Earle-

Thanks for the tip -- it works beautifully!

Tom

No problem. You are welcome. By using such a wide Q you are also bringing up the harmonics for the vocals so they remain full.

Cheers

Earle
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

har-bal wrote:
tcatzere wrote:
...almost a whisper and start lifing the vocals out.

Earle,

In order to get the male vocal where I thought it should be, I had to make about a 5dB increase at 4500Hz. Does this sound excessive to you?

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:
har-bal wrote:
tcatzere wrote:
...almost a whisper and start lifing the vocals out.

Earle,

In order to get the male vocal where I thought it should be, I had to make about a 5dB increase at 4500Hz. Does this sound excessive to you?

Tom

Not at all.

You increase to where you fel it needs to be. Again...if you reduce the overall volume to a little above a whisper you can lift the vocals until they are just barely sitting above the track. Funny enough, I am doing that right now with a track a customer brought over.

Cheers

Earle