Using Expander During Mastering

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
Bracelet Z

Using Expander During Mastering

Post by Bracelet Z »

Hello, guys!

Is it possible to see frequency ranges in Har Bal which should be expanded during the mastering? Should expander be used on the narrow ranges or wider ranges?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Bracelet Z
Hitmaker

Post by Hitmaker »

Hi ,

My suggestions as to using expansion in mastering is to do it by ear ... low threshold , and very low ratios , with attack/release to taste .. as general principles ...
Do be aware that any expansion you do will make for more aggressive limiting , further down the chain ....

Cheers ,

Evan .
" I hate compression with a vengeance . I avoid it . I'm a great believer in the dynamic range being preserved " Alan Parsons
Bracelet Z

Post by Bracelet Z »

Thank you, Evan.

I thought maybe expansion might help to make ranges equal between Average and Peak lines. Which tools could help in this case?

Maybe Earle and Paavo could help here, please :)

Thank you.

Sincerely.
Bracelet Z
Hitmaker

Post by Hitmaker »

Hi ,

The peak , and average traces are corellated ... Oone changes , though at lesser degree , with the other ....
If you were looking to use multiband expansion ... it's often easy to recognise frequency ranges that have been compressed , by the two traces being generally closer together than the rest of the spectrum ... i.e. the yellow peak is not as pronounced as the green ... at that frequency ....

Cheers ,

Evan .
" I hate compression with a vengeance . I avoid it . I'm a great believer in the dynamic range being preserved " Alan Parsons
Bracelet Z

Post by Bracelet Z »

Hi.

Yes I meant about multiband expansion. Do you use multiband expansion on certain frequencies? Is multiband expansion useful and proper tool in this case?

Thank you.

Bracelet Z
Hitmaker

Post by Hitmaker »

Hi ,

Well .. the reason to use multi-band would be about selectivity of affected frequency range(s) .... so .. it's the exact tool for the job .... With many multibands you have choice of compression/expansion over each band ... so you may wish to apply compression elsewhere ...

Cheers ,

Evan .
Bracelet Z

Post by Bracelet Z »

:) Hi.

Ok, I want to return to Har-Bal's average and peak lines. I think it is technically impossible to change the distance between these lines during mastering.

Are there any opposite opinions? :)

Bracelet Z
Hitmaker

Post by Hitmaker »

Hiya ,

Well ... the two traces do bear a relationship with each other , and , by generally raising the average trace , the distance between them will lessen .... but only slightly ... and if your original file was full-scale , you'd be indulging in limiting to not have it too hot for the next stage ... ( which HB will do automatically ) ... So it's of limited use in HB ...

Bottom line is that compression is the appropriate tool for raising average RMS ( both absolutely , and relatively , to peak RMS ) ... most aggressively with short attack/release , and high ( limiting ) ratios ...

Cheers ,

Evan .