RMS Levels

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
tcatzere

RMS Levels

Post by tcatzere »

Earle,

Are RMS levels fairly accurate regardless of genre or processing?

As an example, if I had a track with some decent dynamics and a compressed version of the same track -- and I adjusted the levels of both versions so that they each had an average RMS of -12dB, would the perceived level be the same for both tracks, or would the compressed track sound louder even though the RMS levels were the same?
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: RMS Levels

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:Earle,

Are RMS levels fairly accurate regardless of genre or processing?

As an example, if I had a track with some decent dynamics and a compressed version of the same track -- and I adjusted the levels of both versions so that they each had an average RMS of -12dB, would the perceived level be the same for both tracks, or would the compressed track sound louder even though the RMS levels were the same?

Tom

You will find the best explanation here:

http://www.getmastered.com/techinfo.html

Cheers

Earle
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Thanks, Earle, I'll check it out.

Tom
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

har-bal wrote:You will find the best explanation here:
Earle

Hi Earle,
I read the info at the link you provided. I guess the simple answer to my question is "no," not all RMS levels are created equally. So, this leads to a followup question . . .

I have a project which involves remastering quite a few CDs -- all basically in the same genre with about the same instrumentation. However, each one has varying degrees of processing and compression -- so the levels vary quite a bit from CD to CD. When I'm done, I was hoping to standardize the levels so that each CD would have about the same perceived volume.

In that I cannot simply match RMS levels, how do I accomplish this? Is there any other pretty reliable way to match up the levels from one CD to another? For some reason, I'm drawing a blank on this -- but it can't be all that difficult to accomplish.

Hope you can help.

Tom
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

tcatzere wrote:
har-bal wrote:You will find the best explanation here:
Earle

Hi Earle,
I read the info at the link you provided. I guess the simple answer to my question is "no," not all RMS levels are created equally. So, this leads to a followup question . . .

I have a project which involves remastering quite a few CDs -- all basically in the same genre with about the same instrumentation. However, each one has varying degrees of processing and compression -- so the levels vary quite a bit from CD to CD. When I'm done, I was hoping to standardize the levels so that each CD would have about the same perceived volume.

In that I cannot simply match RMS levels, how do I accomplish this? Is there any other pretty reliable way to match up the levels from one CD to another? For some reason, I'm drawing a blank on this -- but it can't be all that difficult to accomplish.

Hope you can help.

Tom

Tom

There are a number of techniques you can use..

1. Normalization (least favourable)

2. Sound level meter (I like this one) Set the weighting to "C" and the response to FAST. Set the meter to 85dBs

3. If the tempo of the songs are pretty much the same along with the instruments, then by all means use the same formula I outlines in the "Mastering Tutorial". You can always find it by typing Mastering Tutorial in the Google search engine.

4. Last but not least are our trusty EARS

Cheers

Earle
Last edited by har-bal on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

har-bal wrote:Sound level meter (I like this one) Set the weighting to "A" and the response to FAST. Set the meter to 85dBs

Thanks for the input, Earle. Interesting you mentioned the SPL meter. Before receiving your response, I pretty much concluded that that would probably be about my only option -- short of just listening. I did find your weighting suggestion rather interesting. I always thought "C" was a better choice than "A" for music. Is there a particular reason why you use "A?"

Also, I looked through your Mastering Tutorial (again) and noticed you show numerous screenshots. Toward the end of the article is a "Level Meter" and a "Spectrum Meter." Obviously, my DAW includes both of these meters, but I was kind of interested in the two you showed. Are they part of a package, or are they individual plugins that are available somewhere?

Tom

You are correct. The setting should be "C weighting". I must have been spacing for a second. I corrected the entry.

The Level and Spectrum meter you mentioned are both found as standard in Wavelab. They are actually part of the application.

Cheers

Earle