masking

If you are looking for advice on how to use Har-Bal best, or you have some tips of your own, post them here!
analogic

masking

Post by analogic »

Hi Earle,

Waves LMB compressor features an adaptive de-masking process which seems not available in wideband compressors, and other multiband comp's, to my knowledge.

Is there a particular technique for dynamic de-masking purpose by using a wideband compressor after harbalizing the track, or is it really matter not to apply de-masking for a track which was already harbalized?

Cheers

Kursat
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: masking

Post by har-bal »

analogic wrote:Hi Earle,

Waves LMB compressor features an adaptive de-masking process which seems not available in wideband compressors, and other multiband comp's, to my knowledge.

Is there a particular technique for dynamic de-masking purpose by using a wideband compressor after harbalizing the track, or is it really matter not to apply de-masking for a track which was already harbalized?

Cheers

Kursat

Actually I do not know of a technique using just a wideband compressor. De-masking with a wideband will change the frequency content of the entire mix. One of the main reasons for the invention of the multiband compressor was that it enabled the mastering engineer to isolate those problem areas and make the correction without interfering with the frequency ranges outside of the problem areas.
Problem even with multiband is that you have to be careful of making obvious corrections because you may destroy the all other instruments in that frequency range.

My advice is this: If you are attempting to de-mask and you it is plainly obvious go back to the original mix and make the correction.

Cheers

Earle
analogic

Post by analogic »

har-bal wrote:.... My advice is this: If you are attempting to de-mask and you it is plainly obvious go back to the original mix and make the correction.

Cheers

Earle

Thanks Earle.

It seems that after balancing the spectral content of the mix with HarBal, possibly it's better to use a wideband compressor instead of a multiband, and in case of a possible de-masking issue, I will try to fix it during the mix.

Cheers

Kursat
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

analogic wrote:
har-bal wrote:.... My advice is this: If you are attempting to de-mask and you it is plainly obvious go back to the original mix and make the correction.

Cheers

Earle

Thanks Earle.

It seems that after balancing the spectral content of the mix with HarBal, possibly it's better to use a wideband compressor instead of a multiband, and in case of a possible de-masking issue, I will try to fix it during the mix.

Cheers

Kursat

Kursat

You are correct. Think of it this way.

A multiband compressor is kind of like a dynamic equalizer/compressor. Sometimes using a multiband compressor prevents the need to EQ the track. When you correct the soectral image with Har-Bal you are in fact balancing the spectrum so there is really no need to use a multiband compressor unless you just feel it is absolutely necessary.

Cheers

Earle