Using Har-Bal for audio restoration

This is an area where you can share your most unusual or creative application(s) using Har-Bal. We receive emails from folks who are using Har-Bal in ways we never would of imagined!
brubart

Post by brubart »

From a recording client, I received a home-recorded analog tape made in the late 1940's. The client asked me to "make it sound good." I imported it into Har-Bal, tweaked its curve to look more like a contemporary folk recording, and recorded the EQ'd file. Then I added a steep 10 kHz lowpass filter to remove tape hiss. The customer was delighted at how much better the recording sounded.

Bruce Bartlett
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Using Har-Bal for audio restoration

Post by har-bal »

brubart wrote:From a recording client, I received a home-recorded analog tape made in the late 1940's. The client asked me to "make it sound good." I imported it into Har-Bal, tweaked its curve to look more like a contemporary folk recording, and recorded the EQ'd file. Then I added a steep 10 kHz lowpass filter to remove tape hiss. The customer was delighted at how much better the recording sounded.

Bruce Bartlett

Bruce

We are happy you are finding ways to use Har-Bal most effectively. Just out of curiousity how did the spectral image look prior to you har-balizing the wave file?

Thanks

Earle
brubart

Post by brubart »

The spectrum had several big bumps around 200 Hz to 800 Hz, and rolled off pretty sharply above and below that. Har-Bal equalized the old mics, the mix, and the recording medium all at once!

Bruce Bartlett