Simulating a car environment

This is an area where you can share your most unusual or creative application(s) using Har-Bal. We receive emails from folks who are using Har-Bal in ways we never would of imagined!
Evhal

which band ?

Post by Evhal »

mflorio wrote:Sorry for all the separate posts ... !

This just got me thinking that it's possible to actually "tune your room" using this method...

- Analyze the direct pink noise off the cd

- Analyze the recorded pink noise as it sounds in the room (using a mic with as flat a response as possible)

- In HB, using the direct as a reference, build a filter for the room eq until it matches the direct eq trace exactly.

You have just created a filter that compensates for your listening environment. You can then apply this filter to any audio you open in HarBal, before making further changes.

Mike (again)

Hi Mike,

Which line do you suggest to apply the filter too. I am tempted to think the red line as this is the mean. Or should you fit the green line of the original pink noise file ?

Kind regards,
Eric
har-bal
Site Admin

Which line should be your guide?

Post by har-bal »

Hello

Most of the time you can remove the red line using the button on the bottom right hand side of your screen.

Here is how I work.

I work mainly on the green line to determine the overall shape. I pay attention to the yellow line only when there are abnormal peaks I want to attenuate.

If you keep your focus on the green line you won't go wrong.

Once you load a song into Har-Bal stand back and really take a good look at the shape before you change anything. Does it look like this.

Notice the absence of the red line.

http://www.har-bal.com/images/step1.jpg

Start working from left to right

Here is what you are shooting for.
http://www.har-bal.com/images/step3.jpg

For those of you out there using a reference, if you MUST do an exact match...only match the area that YOUR song covers on the spectrum. In otherwords if there is nothing in your song below 100hz don't try and stretch it just because this appears on the reference you are using.
This is one of the reasons why we won't create an exact match button.

If you do an exact match you will bring in all the frequencies that were actually masked and destroy the sound of your project.

Earle
Evhal

Re: Which line should be your guide?

Post by Evhal »

har-bal wrote:Hello

For those of you out there using a reference, if you MUST do an exact match...only match the area that YOUR song covers on the spectrum. In otherwords if there is nothing in your song below 100hz don't try and stretch it just because this appears on the reference you are using.
This is one of the reasons why we won't create an exact match button.

If you do an exact match you will bring in all the frequencies that were actually masked and destroy the sound of your project.

Earle

Thanks for that tip Earle !

Maybe it is an idea to let you select a part of the spectrum or mark a range and then press the "exact match" button ? That way you can work also with different spectrum filters as I suggested before in other thread.

Eric
har-bal
Site Admin

Genius

Post by har-bal »

Eric

Now there is an idea which I believe would definately work. It could actually enable folks to get the bass region correct almost every time. Lets mull it over in our minds.

You may of hit on something my friend.

Earle
Evhal

wow

Post by Evhal »

It would be great to have that feature wouldnt it ? It would also most certainly speed up the workflow using Har-bal, especially if you want to adress single tracks as well... Plus you would get a lot more control regarding the tuning of your room ! Yes, oh yes, I can see it !!! :)

Even more easy would it be if the matching could be done with some sort of threshold slider, where 0 is perfect match and -10 (or something like that) is to match only the values that fall out of some sort of defined standard deviation. For example, with the slider down to -10, only the points on the analysed green line that deviate more then 50 % (for example) from the reference green line will be matched. This way you have a very quick and very intuitive way of correcting your files. You would leave the transients alone and only attack the "hot spots". Like a compressor if you like :). Combine this with a range selector (or zoom-in) and what have you got then : Total precision control with only selecting a range (or the whole spectrum) and a slider to control the amount of matching.....can you see the beauty and time-effiency of this ? Or am I dreaming ? :)

cheers,
Eric
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

A match range tool makes some sense though how best to implement it requires some thought and, no doubt, a few prototypes to get it right. I'll keep it in mind for a future revision. I've got enough to address for the time being.

On the subject of which lines you should adjust in making an EQ filter, you should adjust the green line (average spectrum) for pink noise tests because pink noise is statistically stationary (statistical properties don't change over time). If, on the other hand, you do testing with swept sine waves you should be adjusting the yellow line (peak spectrum).

Regards,

Paavo.
har-bal
Site Admin

Bring this topic back

Post by har-bal »

Folks

I was going through the forum today and almost forgot about this topic (Simulating a car environment). It seemed that it helped quite a few folks and I thought I would bring it back to the top again. There were actually over 4400 views on this topic.

Cheers

Earle