Pink Noise reference file

There are many features of Har-Bal we still haven't discussed in this forum. Below we will start sharing a few items. Please feel free to add yours.
Har/Bal

Pink Noise reference file

Post by Har/Bal »

Hi

A few folks have asked us for a pink noise reference file.
You will find it below. It is a (.wav) that can be used as a reference.

File specs
Pink Noise 16bit 441KHz 30 sec medium intensity 10 norm -4.9dB independent 15sec.wav

You can download it from
http://har-bal.com/files/Pink%20Noise.wav

Earle
kylen

Post by kylen »

Hi Earle, the pink noise wave seems to roll off pretty steep around 15KHz - maybe it's a copy of an mp3 or something ?
har-bal
Site Admin

Correct

Post by har-bal »

It is from the mp3 file in the application "Spectrum Analyzer Pro Live 3.9". Would you happen to have a better copy. If so, I will post it on our server.

Thanks

Earle
kylen

Post by kylen »

OK Earle - I shot you an email with some pink noise I made in Adobe Audition - I can work it up a little better depending on what you need - it's a little big for one thing 5MB...
har-bal
Site Admin

Thanks

Post by har-bal »

Kylen

I will place it ip on the server later today and make it available as a download on the site. We appreciate your help.

cheers

Earle
har-bal
Site Admin

Okay great

Post by har-bal »

Kylen

I have replaced the pink noise file above with the file you created.

Thanks again

Earle
kylen

Post by kylen »

You're welcome - glad to help !

BTW for Audition users the pink noise intensity was set to 10 which most approximated the original pink noise file intensity. Independent noise generators were used for each stereo channel as using a mono source made the bass too eratic. The noise was then normalized to -4.9dB so it closely matched the original pink noise file level as viewd in Har-Bal. I also made the file length 15 seconds as a shorter 10 sec file didn't give Har-Bal enough time to display a smooth average.

-Kyle
gizmo

Just a question about pink noise

Post by gizmo »

Hi all!!

Should our songs looks like the pink noise ?

I mean, if we need to adjust with har-bal our files, so that our songs looks like the pink noise reference ? I have read in other sites than pink noise makes "to high" files. (sorry for my bad english, I speak spanish :) ).

Thank you very much in advance,

Estanis
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: Just a question about pink noise

Post by HarBal »

gizmo wrote:Hi all!!

Should our songs looks like the pink noise ?

I mean, if we need to adjust with har-bal our files, so that our songs looks like the pink noise reference ? I have read in other sites than pink noise makes "to high" files...

I'd agree although it is quite common to have a mid band spectral balance that looks pink (150Hz - 2kHz say). Generally above 2kHz that majority of tracks that sound good have top ends that roll off to be around 10-20dB down relative to the mid band.

Regards,

Paavo.