In follow up to the Mastering Chain Sticky

There are many features of Har-Bal we still haven't discussed in this forum. Below we will start sharing a few items. Please feel free to add yours.
lawbass

In follow up to the Mastering Chain Sticky

Post by lawbass »

Hi guys, finally have the new studio PC up and running, ready to work. FInally got a chance to study the great mastering chain article in detail, and noticed something. I have always worked with Sonar and within Sound Forge for mastering. All the plugins mentioned in this great article are Waves. I looked into those, and the only bundle they have is the Waved Native Masters Bundle with all of those. However, for several hundred dollars less, they have a Waves Native Power Pack, which has all of those, except it has the L1 Ultramaximizer instead of the L2. Here are the specifics in that very reasonable pack:
"This is the package that started it all for Native users, and now with 2 more processors! Our "vintage" De-Esser and a special 2-tap version of SuperTap rounds out the essential collection for everyday music and production work. Now the Native Power Pack is a "must have" more than ever. We've also added 88.2/96kHz support for many native components. New interfaces, no more dongle, and much more!

Now Includes:
*L1-Ultramaximizer
*SuperTap 2-tap, new in the Native Power Pack!
*Q10 Paragraphic Equalizer
*C1 Parametric Compander
*De-Esser, new in the Native Power Pack!
*S1 Stereo Imager
*TrueVerb, with enhanced controls!"

Do any of you know whether the L1 do basically all the L2 will do? Thanks. Also, have either of you ever checked into whether a comparable chain can be put together using the Sound Forge and Sonar plugins? Thanks as always.
Peace,
Jon
har-bal
Site Admin

Comparable Mastering Chain

Post by har-bal »

Jon

I will put together a chain you can use from Sound Forge and Sonar.

Earle
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: In follow up to the Mastering Chain Sticky

Post by har-bal »

lawbass wrote:Hi guys, finally have the new studio PC up and running, ready to work. FInally got a chance to study the great mastering chain article in detail, and noticed something. I have always worked with Sonar and within Sound Forge for mastering. All the plugins mentioned in this great article are Waves. I looked into those, and the only bundle they have is the Waved Native Masters Bundle with all of those. However, for several hundred dollars less, they have a Waves Native Power Pack, which has all of those, except it has the L1 Ultramaximizer instead of the L2. Here are the specifics in that very reasonable pack:
"This is the package that started it all for Native users, and now with 2 more processors! Our "vintage" De-Esser and a special 2-tap version of SuperTap rounds out the essential collection for everyday music and production work. Now the Native Power Pack is a "must have" more than ever. We've also added 88.2/96kHz support for many native components. New interfaces, no more dongle, and much more!

Now Includes:
*L1-Ultramaximizer
*C1 Parametric Compander
*S1 Stereo Imager

Do any of you know whether the L1 do basically all the L2 will do? Thanks. Also, have either of you ever checked into whether a comparable chain can be put together using the Sound Forge and Sonar plugins? Thanks as always.
Peace,
Jon

Jon

You can use the following for yourr mastering chain

Har-Bal
Sonitus:fx multiband Download (Start with the smooth preset) I still prefer Waves Lmb
Q10 Paragraphic Equalizer (May not need here)....just in case
Waves Stereo Imager (Check to make sure your track is mono compatible and that your stereo image is not too wide)
L1 (Make sure you set the outceiling to -0.1)

You should be able to easily create a decent sounding master with these.

Cheers

Earle
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: In follow up to the Mastering Chain Sticky

Post by har-bal »

har-bal wrote:
lawbass wrote:Hi guys, finally have the new studio PC up and running, ready to work. FInally got a chance to study the great mastering chain article in detail, and noticed something. I have always worked with Sonar and within Sound Forge for mastering. All the plugins mentioned in this great article are Waves. I looked into those, and the only bundle they have is the Waved Native Masters Bundle with all of those. However, for several hundred dollars less, they have a Waves Native Power Pack, which has all of those, except it has the L1 Ultramaximizer instead of the L2. Here are the specifics in that very reasonable pack:

Now Includes:
*L1-Ultramaximizer
*C1 Parametric Compander
*S1 Stereo Imager

Peace,
Jon

Jon

You can use the following for yourr mastering chain

Har-Bal
Sonitus:fx multiband Download (Start with the smooth preset) I still prefer Waves Lmb
Q10 Paragraphic Equalizer (May not need here)....just in case
Waves Stereo Imager (Check to make sure your track is mono compatible and that your stereo image is not too wide)
L1 (Make sure you set the outceiling to -0.1)

You should be able to easily create a decent sounding master with these.

Cheers

Earle

Jon

You can download some great sound measuring plugins from http://hdqtrz.com/Files/cplugs11.ZIP

to check the mono compatibility of your stereo mixes.

Included in this group is a plugin that allows you to press a "mono" switch that immediately lets you know if your track loses anything (instruments,vocals) in mono.
Remember...most radio stations broadcast in mono so it is very important not to make your stereo field too wide.

Cheers

Earle
Last edited by har-bal on Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
lawbass

Post by lawbass »

Thanks Earle, I will set that up and start experimenting with that as an initial plugin chain. Just out of curiosity though, will the L1 give me basically the same capability as the L2 if I eventually decide to purchase that plug in package?
Jon
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

lawbass wrote:Thanks Earle, I will set that up and start experimenting with that as an initial plugin chain. Just out of curiosity though, will the L1 give me basically the same capability as the L2 if I eventually decide to purchase that plug in package?
Jon

Jon

Let me make it easier for you.
Check out this review midway down.
http://www.studio-central.com/review_of_waves.htm

Earle