bass region help

There are many features of Har-Bal we still haven't discussed in this forum. Below we will start sharing a few items. Please feel free to add yours.
shep9040

bass region help

Post by shep9040 »

My mixes almost all tend to start sloping pretty drastically downward at about 85Hz, but I notice that my rock reference files curve back up at around 65Hz and then slope back down at around 42.5 Hz. My question is, should I consider the fact that my own mixes don't slope back up a "hole" in my spectrum and pull up frequencies similar to my references, or should I just concentrate on the peaks and valleys to the right of the 85Hz mark?

Any help is much appreciated
-Shep Shepard
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: bass region help

Post by har-bal »

shep9040 wrote:My mixes almost all tend to start sloping pretty drastically downward at about 85Hz, but I notice that my rock reference files curve back up at around 65Hz and then slope back down at around 42.5 Hz. My question is, should I consider the fact that my own mixes don't slope back up a "hole" in my spectrum and pull up frequencies similar to my references, or should I just concentrate on the peaks and valleys to the right of the 85Hz mark?

-Shep Shepard

Shep

Would it be possible for you to send us a .anl file of your track . It would make our analysis easier.

Thanks

Earle
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: bass region help

Post by har-bal »

shep9040 wrote:My mixes almost all tend to start sloping pretty drastically downward at about 85Hz, but I notice that my rock reference files curve back up at around 65Hz and then slope back down at around 42.5 Hz. My question is, should I consider the fact that my own mixes don't slope back up a "hole" in my spectrum and pull up frequencies similar to my references, or should I just concentrate on the peaks and valleys to the right of the 85Hz mark?

-Shep Shepard

Shep

Thanks for sending the .anl file. Here is the issue.

Low shelving in the bass region is too high (89hz) and because of this the depth (body) is missing from your mix. You should sweep the low shelf between 40 and 60hz until the bass region sounds nice and tight.
You can solve this dilemma by adding a subwoofer to your setup so you can be able to hear what is happening at least down to the 40hz region.
Even if you don't get a subwoofer just know that the bass region fullness resides between those two regions.
There are individual instruments that may low shelf at 90hz but it rarely happens with entire mixes. Overall your spectrum is pretty well balanced. Just don't slice the pie too high :)

BTW: Here is another little tip. If you are mixing in an alcove open the door and allow the music to escape so you have less reflections. Instead of trying to control the reflections, just give them an out. I was told a long time ago that if you want a perfect mix.....mix it outside

Cheers

Earle
shep9040

Post by shep9040 »

Earle-

Thanks for your help! I've got one more question though- when I want to compare my eq to a reference, and I have to move the green line up as a whole to lay it on top of the reference eq, how do I juxtapose the two? If the reference has a pronounced bass region, should I lay my bass region on top of it and then use the low pass filter to bring the rest of the curve down? Should I lay the mids on top of the reference mids and pull up the bass? I don't ever just mimic a reference file, but I do like to emulate parts of it at times, and somtimes I'll try to copy its curve just to hear what my song will sound like. Any suggestions?

Thanks again-
Shep Shepard
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

shep9040 wrote:Earle-

Thanks for your help! I've got one more question though- when I want to compare my eq to a reference, and I have to move the green line up as a whole to lay it on top of the reference eq, how do I juxtapose the two? If the reference has a pronounced bass region, should I lay my bass region on top of it and then use the low pass filter to bring the rest of the curve down? Should I lay the mids on top of the reference mids and pull up the bass? I don't ever just mimic a reference file, but I do like to emulate parts of it at times, and somtimes I'll try to copy its curve just to hear what my song will sound like. Any suggestions?

Thanks again-
Shep Shepard

Shep

The easiest method is too simply bring (your song's) green line into the general area as the reference. Don't try to exact match. Just use the reference somewhat as a guide.. The concentration should be more towards the bass and mid range region which is the most difficult region to adjust for most folks. Use your ears for the highs. Normally, I only make adjustments to the highs if I have corrected the bass region and the highs still sound a bit harsh.
If the reference you are using is from a similar genre then by all means use the low shelving tool to make the slope similar. You can't go wrong.

Cheers :)

Earle
I