What Mastering Chain are you Using?

There are many features of Har-Bal we still haven't discussed in this forum. Below we will start sharing a few items. Please feel free to add yours.
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

"You should be wary of sample rate conversion between 48,96, or 192kHz to 44.1kHz... "

Good advice!

If you look at my initial response post date (Apr 07, 2006), I have long ago changed my method and done all my tracking at 24-bit/44.1 kHz.
Carmichael

Idealized curve matching

Post by Carmichael »

It is stunning just how well the idealized curve matching works IMHO. Thanks Jesse - for sharing such a great idea and your views on all those plug-ins. I did follow it with McDSP ml4000 which is a nice multiband processor.

Thanks
uncajesse

Post by uncajesse »

I found another great broadband brickwall limiter. It's not as transparent as Voxengo Elephant, especially on the treble transients, but for some things it just sounds better, especially if you aren't working with stuff that has very loud or very linear treble transients.

Crysonic Spectra'Phy
http://www.crysonic.com/spectraphy.html

check it out. :) I like it almost as much as Elephant all around, it really is great for stuff you need a vintage touch on at the brickwall limiter stage. In fact, it's too bad they can't release a plugin that only has the "Drive/Color" function, because that sounds wonderful.

cheers
Carmichael

Post by Carmichael »

Is it just me, or was the May 26, 2007 entry by uncasse (Jesse) edited? Didn't it originally describe the use of the M function (curve matching) over a defined frequency range (ie 70 hz to 12k) and using an idealized curve as the match which Jesse painstakingly created then provided us a download link? I really liked the approach and still use it.
uncajesse

Post by uncajesse »

It's just you. The post was over here in this thread;
http://har-bal.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/vi ... ight=#4782

But yeah, I suppose I'll have to create a new thread just for it, like I said I would. I also have a higher resolution reference file, lil more accurate, made from 2 hours of noise. heheh.

Keep an eye out for version2 of my Brickwall LImiter harmonic/aliasing distortion thread which I'll be posting too, probably after the new "ideal curve" thread.
Carmichael

Post by Carmichael »

Good stuff. I'm all ears.
Carmichael

Post by Carmichael »

Jesse

Would you be so kind as to share your ideal curce like you did before? Your approach is really saving me.

Thanks!
Carmichael

Post by Carmichael »

That's ok. I'm enjoying making my own curves - it's easy and a real trip. I see what you mean about elephant. I think I was using the wrong setting when it was clipping.

Thanks
uncajesse

Post by uncajesse »

i still have the ideal curve uploaded in the same place as before. Search the forums for it (using the search function) ;)
SkipB

Post by SkipB »

uncajesse wrote:i still have the ideal curve uploaded in the same place as before. Search the forums for it (using the search function) ;)

Thanks Jess,I'll try this out.
"Who's worried about the marsh when your up to your waist in Alligators"