INTERESTING WAY TO USE HAR BAL

There are many features of Har-Bal we still haven't discussed in this forum. Below we will start sharing a few items. Please feel free to add yours.
Strale

INTERESTING WAY TO USE HAR BAL

Post by Strale »

This product is amazing and it`s really helpful. I`m looking forward to plug in version of HAR-BAL.Before it comes, wont tell you what I find.I think that there is a problem because audio have to be record for 3 times.
1.audio export mixdown in Nuendo for example,32bit,192 or 96 khz file,
2.import and process in HAR BAL probably at same resolution,
3.and finaly import and process in Wavelab for example, to 16bit,44,1khz file
Please tell me am I wrong,but think that is not so good for audio quality?
After some experimentation I find this way>route signal from HAR BAL to Nuendo ( or whatever seq. you prefer ) wia sound card. In the sound card must mute channel on which signal from HAR BAL is coming,but send it wia asio channel to Nuendo.Now switch on monitor, on one audio channel(stereo of course)in Nuendo,monitoring wia Nuendo. If you hear the sound when start play in HAR BAL then you can take next step.Insert some effects to INPUT channel .In the first patch it will be EQ to bring low cut.Then multiband compressor to take care of bands dynamics,specialy of bass,max bass,some of your choice, AND FINALLY LIMITER/ MAXIMIZER in THE 7 OR 8 PATCH BECAUSE IT IS POST FADE.In the real time you can tweak harmonic balance in HAR BAL and dynamic balance and maximalization+dither in NUENDO.Nuendo project must be set to 16 bit,44,1khz because you gona record it in a real time.ALL effects must be insert in INPUT channel only.When you are ready, start record in Nuendo and start play in HAR BAL.Only problem is the moment of record start.If it is early you have pause before the song and thats not good because when you later cut it you must render it again,and we dont want another rerererecord.Solution is> when export your mixdown, export it with one bar of clic which will tell you when to start recording.LIsten it to be able to stop recording.Prerecord time in preference must be set to 0 sec.After finish recording take your new file from audio folder and rename it,than open the bear.Thats it.PLease tell me is this a stupid way or not.Possible because I am new in this.
,sorry I have little problem with English.

Best Regards
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

What you are suggesting is far worse to sound quality than your objections to rendering to 32 file and processing in Har-Bal. The sound that will come out of your sound card will be of lower resolution than the 32 wave file. That is it will have more noise in it.

I imagine your objection to using the export approach and then processing in Har-bal to export again and then limiting in your DAW to render a third time is because those 3 renderings add some noise. However, this is not analog we're talking about here. The noise floor for the digital processing involved is around -125dB or more. The additive noise from rendering the same track 3 times through the same process will raise the noise floor by at most 5dB. That is it will still be -120dB down. That is going to be way lower than the other noise sources in your tracking sources (for example, any source recorded with a Mic will have a noise floor of of around -75dB, definitely never better than -90dB).

What you point out makes sense for analog recording but that is because the noise floor is so much higher (-80dB at best). With digital recording using 32 bit resolution you have to do very many regenerations before you'll hear the additive noise degrading the sound. For example, to take the -125dB noise floor to CD levels which is more like -100dB you'll need to raise the noise floor by 25dB. That requires around 316 regenerations of the track. Not many people will be going through a process chain that has 316 steps!

Regards,

Paavo.
Strale

Post by Strale »

Thank you very much Paavo.Now it is perfectly clear to me about noise ,leave 32 bit res.and routing thry sondcard twice..But in practice I really hear difference every time when render audio.Not only when going to lower res. also when stay in same. Working on my project and of course listen it.After rendering I dont get what I hear previously.Maybe must learn more ,or buy another sound card.Now I have Emu 1820m.Anyway thank you.

Regards
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

If you are hearing a difference it will be for a completely different reason and not a function of digital noise from rendering to file multiple times. There must be something else in the process that you are doing that is responsible for the audible degradation and not the writing to file on its own. What is responsible is something for you to uncover.

Regards,

Paavo.
Strale

Post by Strale »

OK,THANK YOU PAAVO.