tweeter blown?

Speaker design is Paavo's special interest so post away.
dbmasters

tweeter blown?

Post by dbmasters »

If an ohm meter tests out on a horns diaphragm, does that indicate it's good or could it still test out and be blown.

I have a couple wedge monitors I built a few years ago and the horns are not working. But the crossover does not have any visible damage, nor does the tweeter, plus the ohm meter tests out...it's supposed to read around 8 or something like that according to the local speaker shop...

These speakers I built are really very nice so rather than junk them (they costed me virtually nothing to build) I would rather get them working and pass them on to my friends sons young band so they have some wedges.

But I just can't find where the problem lies...
jodyjfk

Test

Post by jodyjfk »

You could always put a 1.5v battery across the tweeter terminals and if you get a "click" they are probably ok and the problem lies in the crossovers or a connection somewhere.
HarBal
Site Admin

Blown Tweeter?

Post by HarBal »

Is it a dynamic or piezo tweeter? If dynamic then yes, it sounds like the voice coil has gone open circuit. If Piezo and ohm meter test will always read o/c unless it's faulty.

Is the horn unit repaceable or is the driver discontinued? Typically in pro horn units the compression unit and the horn are serperable from one another allowing blown compression units to be replaced easily. I don't know if yours is one of these.

If you are desperate to have it fixed then therer are people that do speaker re-cones that could possibly fix it though I've had no experience with them so I can't tell you much more than that.

As you are not doubt aware, if you have to replace it with a different (similar) unit it will most likely not sound great unless you re-design the cross-over and even them that may not be enough is the new driver does not work well with the existing woofer/midrange units you have.

A rewound voice coil sounds like your best bet if you can get a new identical replacement.

Paavo.
dbmasters

Post by dbmasters »

thanks, yes, I can buy new drivers for the horn, I had done it several times while gigging back in the day, and I called that same store a few days ago and they said it's still being produced.

Back when gigging it would blow frequently enough where I changed it a few times before putting a fuse between the crossover and horn, which is why I find it hard to believe it is blown...

Anyway, as it turns out, I just found out the kids band wants them as is and they said they will fix them. So I still get the same net result, I get to pass on my cool little monitors to the next generation of rockers :-)

These monitors are the 5th or 6th pair of speakers I have built, I enjoy speaker design and construction quite a lot myself. I just finished building a very cool subwoofer under my fireplace hearth for my home theatre, it sounds awesome. It's cool when something in a movie blows up and you can feel it :-)