JBL Series

Speaker design is Paavo's special interest so post away.
tcatzere

JBL Series

Post by tcatzere »

Paavo,

What do you know about the JBL LSR 6300 and new 4300 series speakers with their room compensation technology? I've read a lot of good things about these monitors and just wondering if you had any comments?

Tom
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I know nothing at all but any inbuilt EQ can only do so much. Problem acoustics can't be treated properly electronically because the acoustics problem is a spatial one where-as simple EQ is one dimensional. If the problems aren't too bad then the EQ can make it sound better at the expense of some clarity. It's just not theoretically possible to control the acoustics in a room from two points (left and right). The "spatial sampling" is way too inadequate.

Paavo.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

In a follow up to your question, I had a look at what the room compensation technology they are offering is. It is basically a low frequency equalizer for reducing the effect of trouble modes at the sweet spot. The key point here is at the sweet spot. You can certainly EQ out room modes at the sweet spot but it generally results in bigger node responses in other parts of the room, so it is fine if it is only for you but if you have someone else in the room with you sitting in a different location there is a good chance it may sound worse at there listening position. It has no effect on higher frequency room problems.

Not a bad addition but you should always spend a lot of time experimenting with speaker placement to reduce the effect of room modes before you even think about compensating EQ. Most people seem to overlook speaker placement at there own peril. I have a friend with Duntech Marquis HiFi speakers (stand about 5 ft tall) who gave me a listen to his setup. The first time I heard it the bass sounded horrible. Their seemed to be a huge hole in the response. A small sideways movement of a few feet made a huge improvement. I guess in his case though, the speakers are so big it is a pretty hard job moving them around the room to find the best position for them.

Regards,

Paavo.
tcatzere

Post by tcatzere »

Thanks, Paavo, for the followup info.

Tom