where should crossover be set?

Speaker design is Paavo's special interest so post away.
bax3

where should crossover be set?

Post by bax3 »

After years of hearing about the wonders of using a woofer I now have one.
I use M-audio BX5 nearfield monitors and the woofer is the matching M_Audio Studiophile woofer.
The audio is routed to the woofer where frequencies can be set for the crossover output to the BX5 monitors.
Question:
To set this up where it will be the most like consumer systems, where should the crossover frequencyies be set?
Thanks,
Bax
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I presume you are referring to a sub-woofer setup?

The optimum crossover point will depend on a number of factors like what frequency does your mid-field monitors start to roll off at and what is the upper limit of useful output from you sub-woofer. My initial preference would be to try setting the crossover point at the LF cutoff of your monitors. That way the effective cutoff slope of the crossover is higher so you are less likely to have phase cancellation issues around the crossover region. My guess is that'll probably be somewhere around 60Hz but you'll need to check your monitor specs.

Beyond that, you should spend some time experimenting with placement of the sub-woofer and its phasing as you'll have a wide range of possible performance and your first guess may not be as good as you might think. It is time well spent.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Paavo.