Getting a Clip????

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
lucky

Getting a Clip????

Post by lucky »

No Clip on Pre-Master CD but when I transfer via Real Player to Har Bal I get a clip at about 2:11 on my song. Any suggestions as to why and what I can do? Tried reducing Limiter Gain but that isn''t the problem, it still clips at lower Volume.

Thanks,

Lucky
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: Getting a Clip????

Post by HarBal »

Given your transfering the track via Real Player, would I be correct in thinking the source format is a lossy compression format such as Real Audio or mp3? The reason I ask is that it is common for highly maximised material converted to mp3 format and then back to a wave format to produce clipped samples. This occurs as a result of the comversion process. Because it is a lossy conversion that introduces phase and frequency component changes, it can easily result in reconstructed output that exceeds the level of clipping. I think this may be what you are seeing.

This problem also arises in poorly designed digital to analog conversion hardware if sufficient headroom is not allocated in the output to cope with these conversion produced transients. I don't know personally, though I heard a rumour that early versions of the iPod mp3 player suffered from this problem with highly maximised source material. As another example, I have a bonus DVD that came with a foo fighters CD of their concert in Hyde Park that is highly maximised. It plays ok through my HiFi but if I happen to play it through a DVD and watching it through the RF modulated output (rather than direct video and audio) through a TV, the sound is horribly distorted. Again, it is a headroom limitation issue and yet more reasons not to heavily maximise recordings.

Regards,

Paavo.