A couple of questions...

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Dave King

A couple of questions...

Post by Dave King »

I just purchased and installed my copy of Har-Bal this week and am very impressed. I think it will be a very helpful program to put that final touch on my mixes to make them sound more "pro."

I'm having trouble with all of the Help files. When I click on any of them to launch, I get an error message saying that they cannot be found. I know they are there. The problem is the program seems to be looking for them in another location on my hard drive. I installed the program with all of the default settings so I do not know why this is happening. Can anyone help me tell Har-Bal how to locate these Help files properly?

Also, as I apply limiting to my mix and hear it get louder, it would be also be nice to be able to see the effect the limiter is having on the RMS and Peak levels of the mix. So far, I have not been able to find this in the program. Is there a way to see a numeric display of these levels after limiting has been applied?

Thanks!
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: A couple of questions...

Post by HarBal »

Hi Dave,

The help file issue is a compatibility issue with some browsers. The code that launches the browser does so by passing the file it should be opening in the command line but unfortunately it seems there is no standard way of handling this. I coded it to work with Mozilla Firefox and the version of Internet Explorer on my Vista machine but it seems that there are issues with other versions of IE and Opera. This is a low priority for us as you can access the help files directly by clicking on them from explorer or the icon in the Har-bal program files group. We will have another go at getting it right for other browsers in the next major release of Har-Bal, which is what is being worked on at the moment.

On the limiter, if you are lightly limiting (that is the limiting meter is not lit most of the time and only slightly lit when it is) then the change is approximately the peak and average figure of merits plus the gain applied in Har-Bal. If the limiter is working hard then it is that minus some proportion owing to the gain reduction the limiter has to apply to stop clipping. I'll think about putting in something more informative for the next version.

Cheers,

Paavo.
Dave King

Re: A couple of questions...

Post by Dave King »

Thanks!