Paavo and Earl - are you there?

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
cbeatty

Paavo and Earl - are you there?

Post by cbeatty »

I'm suddenly unable to open Har-bal 2.3. It worked fine just yesterday. I would like to reinstall. But can't seem to get through on your support page.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: Paavo and Earl - are you there?

Post by HarBal »

Hi Chuck,

I just replied to your email a short while ago.

As someone else has reported that their virus scanner has flagged Har-Bal as being infected I'll mention this here and now.

I'd be very surprised if Har-Bal had a virus. I actually think it is more likely that the virus scan software is mis-reporting Har-Bal as a virus. This has happened to us at least twice in the past (McAffee) and happens because part of their virus scanning is based on what they refer to as heuristics which, as far as I can tell, means that the virus scanner looks at what the software links to in the operating system and if a certain group of linkages are made then it tags it as suspicious. If that is the case you need to report the mis-identification to your virus scanner vendor as a mis-identification so they can fix their database and stop the mis-reporting.

It seems to be related to the fact that Har-Bal is protected with Software Passport, which is yet another reason why we will be moving away from it in the future.

Regards and Merry Christmas,

Paavo.
cbeatty

Re: Paavo and Earl - are you there?

Post by cbeatty »

Paavo. Once again, you are very helpful. I contacted McAfee and they stated that it is a known issue and they are working on a patch.

Thanks again.