eq boost and cuts

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Gordon Gidluck

eq boost and cuts

Post by Gordon Gidluck »

Paavo,
From what I understand, Har-bal attempts to keep the RMS value the same even when making eq boosts or cuts. This must mean that processing is applied to all other frequencies to makeup or cut overall gain.

I think this makes sense when mastering a stereo track. However, if Har-Bal is also used as a tool for tracks to be mixed it would be nice to just perform eq cuts to the track and not add anything extra.

Right now I am working with a track that has an acoustic bass and the room mode is a problem. So I am making some cuts at about 80 and 160 (as shown in the Har-Bal trace).

I wonder if something like this can be accomodated into your current plans?

Gordon
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: eq boost and cuts

Post by HarBal »

Hello Gordon,

Gordon Gidluck wrote:From what I understand, Har-bal attempts to keep the RMS value the same even when making eq boosts or cuts. This must mean that processing is applied to all other frequencies to makeup or cut overall gain.

There is no frequency selective processing applied to makeup the overall volume, just gain, so what you are asking for is already accommodated for. Har-Bal merely turns up or down the volume, nothing more or nothing less.

If you care to switch to frequency response view you will see an illustration of that. Outside the region you edited the response is flat but the overall frequency response is level shifted the right amount to keep loudness fixed.

cheers,

Paavo.