empathetic equalisation

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
muttha19

empathetic equalisation

Post by muttha19 »

do I must wrote down from the beginning what I am changing to the peak or valley in order to correct my sound on DAW?
i don't understand ?
thanks on advance.
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: empathetic equalisation

Post by HarBal »

I'm sorry but I don't understand your question, though I get the impression that you may be approaching EQ from the wrong standpoint.

There seems to be a misconception surrounding Har-Bal that says that Har-Bal knows what your track spectrum should look like and be able to correct it. Nothing could be further from the truth and anyone using Har-Bal with that stand point is likely to have mixed results.

The correct mind set in using Har-Bal is to combine what you hear with what track analysis "may" be telling you. Start by carefully listening to your track and paying close attention to what sounds distressing or disturbing to your ears. If nothing does then nothing need be changed but if something does then ask yourself if the track analysis shows anything that may possibly explain why it sounds as it does. In essence, propose a hypothesis in the analysis and then set out to test that hypothesis by making changes to the spectrum.

For instance, I find the vocals harsh and thin. The mid-range shows a dip around 500Hz and there is peaking around 3kHz. I postulate that the mid-range dip is making the vocals sound thin and the peaking at 3kHz making it sound harsh. Now I set out testing the hypothesis by cutting the peakiness around 3kHz and then listening to the change in sound. Does it sound less harsh? If yes then that postulate appears to be correct, If no then that is not the cause. Boost the mid-range around 500Hz and listen to the change. Does it sound fuller? If yes then the postulate is correct, and so on.

That is the correct approach to using Har-Bal. It is a process of incremental improvement through hypothesis testing. You cannot accurately judge whether the spectrum of a track demonstrates a problem without listening to it. Listening is an essential part of the process and it is best to make gradual incremental changes and test each change as you go, keeping those that improve the track and undoing those that make it worse.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Paavo.
muttha19

Post by muttha19 »

let's start from your example if I found a dip around 500 Hz on vocal in harbal, Boost the mid-range around 500Hz and listen to the change and the result is better, then what action I have to do ?

1. fix my EQ on the vocal channel and for what Db ?
or...
2. fix my EQ on the master channel and for what Db ?

what type of render I have to import to harbal for better result ?
i'm using fruity loops 9 that can render my project to
1. WAV 16 bit integer
2. WAV 24 bit integer
3. WAV 32 bit float
can I use dithering ?
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

From your reply I assume you mean how do I fix it in the tracking before mixing it rather than in the mix with HarBal. If that is what you mean then you'll need to analyse the tracks making up your mix to figure out which part contributes what to the track.

When you've figured out which part is responsible for the problem then apply the same scale change that you did in Har-Bal to that part and then see what the final mix looks like. You should be able to reproduce a similar response by paying attention to what is displayed in the status line (ie. bottom left hand corner of Har-Bal window) when you are making your edit with the gain tool. It will display the Q, centre frequency and gain parameters which you could then apply to a parametric EQ plugin in fruity loops.

regards,

Paavo.
muttha19

Post by muttha19 »

ok i 'll try
thanks paavo