film soundtrack

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
retep456

film soundtrack

Post by retep456 »

I was given a 96,24bit 24framesps mono film soundtrack file to restore and convert to stereo and return as 48/24,24. This I was able to do but I couldn't open the file in HB which I would have liked to. I assumed it is because of the 24 fps that HB would not open it. Is this a correct assumption? If it is .. is there a way around it? and if is not what might be the problem?
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: film soundtrack

Post by HarBal »

Har-Bal uses LIBSNDFILE for I/O so the version in Har-Bal 2.3 obviously has trouble with the format of that file. The version of LIBSNDFILE in that version of Har-Bal is quite old so the problem may well be fixed in the latest available versions of LIBSNDFILE though I wouldn't know with any certainty.

Quite often the problem that Har-Bal has in opening certain files is down to meta data in the file and not the wave information itself. You may be able to work around it by saving to a different format (.aiff for instance).

Har-Bal version 3.0, currently under development, includes the latest version of LIBSNDFILE. It should be out in Beta within a month.

regards,

Paavo.
retep456

Post by retep456 »

I received another set of files in the same format. I've treated them in the same way. These files open in HB, no trouble. I'll go back to the earlier files for a closer look. Thanks for your help and time, Paavo regards...Pete
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

That suggests it is due to meta tags in the file. .wav and .aiff files allow meta data to be store with the file (stuff that isn't actually played but used else where) and it's probably one of those that is causing problems.

cheers,

Paavo.