A question about Har-Bal 3 Air

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
janpetter

A question about Har-Bal 3 Air

Post by janpetter »

Hi , I recently been looking into the K-Stereo Ambience Processor vst by
Algorithmix , Bob Katz .
But the price tag of nearly USD 1000 scared me away :-)

I was just wondering if Air uses the same principals as this plug-in , effect wise ?

Oh and in the search of more information of the K-Stereo I found a FREE plug-in
called SHEPPi
http://dallashodgson.info/articles/OpenAmbienceProject/

Interesting read and with a download link , I havent yet tested this one out .
But I`ve heard the Ambience Comparison Demos on the site . WOW :-)

All the best
Jan
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: A question about Har-Bal 3 Air

Post by HarBal »

As far as I'm aware, K stereo does not use an approach anything like Har-Bal though I haven't researched it and I'm not particularly interested in doing so either.

From what a friend told me about it, K stereo is realised in the time domain with a series of delayed and amplitude reduced versions of the left channel reflected in the right (and visa versa) and I recall him mentioning something about changed panning in time (as in the different impulses).

Har-Bal Air is realised in the frequency domain using random deviates giving an entirely predictable effect on the frequency domain (that is not the case with K-stereo) and a much more random and complex looking response as far as the impluse response of the process.

As to which sounds better, I'm not going to comment. I've never knowingly heard it myself so I can't offer an opinion and even if I did, I'd still probably resist.

cheers,

Paavo.