Deep Valleys Question

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
Darren01274

Deep Valleys Question

Post by Darren01274 »

I I have bought a new recording interafce and trying to put together some nice sounding demos, but the trouble is the vocals sound harsh, and kind of too middy/trebly. I put the vocal track in Har-bal and there is some deep valleys, here is a screen shot http://postimage.org/image/w4gbjjvgx/

I am not using a vocal reflexion filter would this be the cause and is there a way to fix this without one?
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: Deep Valleys Question

Post by HarBal »

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a vocal reflexion filter? Is that like a vocal booth or something.

From what I see in your spectrum there are large peaks at around 400 and 600Hz which more than likely would sound distressing, the 600Hz one in particular. You need to bring that region down without altering the peak shapes. If it sounds too bright have you tried de-essing your vocal with a compressor and side chain?

cheers,

Paavo.