Filter overlay

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
pjs

Filter overlay

Post by pjs »

I haven't used HarBal in a long time but I just started with v3.0r7. I thought there was a way to load a filter and have it displayed at the same time as a song file waveform. (i.e. to allow the user to modiy the target material toward the source filter but using manual adjustments. Is this possible because if it is I can't work it out.

I have tried loading a .hbf file as well as a .hbrf file but no luck.

(edit) I just opened HarBal again and there it was. the filter waveform has appeared. Is this a known issue? Apparently I need to load the .wav as "ref" and the "hbf" as filter. Has it always been like this? My memory of it is from a couple of years ago but I thought it was only required to load a filter file.
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: Filter overlay

Post by HarBal »

What you suggest (ie. modify the target material toward the source filter but using manual adjustment) makes no sense because a target analysis is a "spectrum" but a filter is a frequency response so to say that you want to adjust the spectrum towards a particular frequency response is non-sensical.

I take it that what you really mean is that you wish to adjust a source spectrum to be consistent with a reference *spectrum* which does make sense and is perfectly possible with Har-Bal. I suspect you are not able to because you are confusing a filter with a spectrum. They are too different things entirely.

What you need to do is load your reference track using the menu command File/Reference/Open and then specify a source file in the source file field. If you press the button with the elipsis (...) then you can use a file open dialog box to select it. Note that I've introduced a bug into the code such that if you open a reference source with a different sampling rate to the source file it fails and possibly crashes. Rest assured that I will fix it in a future release but in the meantime should you want to use a reference it needs to have the same sampling rate as the session file.

Alternatively, if you don't want to use a playable reference then you can create a reference file from a session using the File/Export Reference menu command. You can then open that .hbref file in the same manner as opening a playable reference above.

Finally, note that specifying a filter in the open reference dialog box is optional. It is fine to leave it blank in which case the reference spectrum is un-modified. A filter is typically used when creating a tonally consistent compilation of tracks so that you can incorporate the filter for the track into the reference, otherwise you would need to first render the filtered file and the open the EQ'd version as a reference, which would also require further analysis to build the spectrum result.

regards,

Paavo.