Inconsistent Volume levels on Har-Bal Master????

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
lucky

Inconsistent Volume levels on Har-Bal Master????

Post by lucky »

I am trying to figure out why the Volume is getting softer & louder on playback? It isn't that way on the Pre-Master only after I've added Har-Bal.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Lucky
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

By that I assume you mean some parts of the track are louder and some are softer. The reason why that might be is that the track in question may have thematic changes (say a soft part followed by a loud part) that contribute to different parts of the spectrum. If your filter modifies those contributions differently then you would expect the loudness levels of those parts to be changed by different amounts.

In cases like these you would ideally process the different parts of the track separately. Doing that with Har-Bal at present is complicated and requires track splitting. The re-write of Har-Bal will be able to handle that situation easily.

Regards,

Paavo.
lucky

Post by lucky »

I took a break and tried again this morning everything was fine. Maybe something going on behind the scenes in Cyberspace. Hopefully not a Virus.

Thanks for the feedback Paavo. Always helpful.

I'll post a Song from our newly Har Bal Mastered Album as soon as I'm done. Would appreciate feedback from any of you out there.

Thanks again,

Lucky
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Maybe a human virus or allergic response? I suffer from hearing deprivation from time to time where everything sounds off and its just cos my estacion tubes were inflamed (most commonly from allergic response or gastric reflux rather than infection). Maybe you just had one such bad day.

The interesting thing about my hearing off days is that I can much more readily hear certain spectrum imbalance issues than when my hearing is A1. It makes logical sense if you think about it but it is a bit counter intuitive and might have a lot of people up in arms in protest. Whatever others may say, I certainly believe there is truth in it but I'd much rather have my hearing A1 all the time. It just isn't enjoyable when it isn't.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some of your work when it is finished.

Cheers,

Paavo.
lucky

Post by lucky »

It happened again, but seems to be intermittent. It is something with my Computer I'm pretty sure.

I too have hearing issue's. Tinnitus.

Here's a Song we Recorded on my Tsacam 2488 & Mastered with Har-Bal. It's titled "Break-Through" by "The larson Brothers Band".

www.soundclick.com/thelarsonbrothersband
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Is that from too many loud gigs? The last time I went to an "plugged" concert I was bitterly disappointed at how stupidly loud it was (must have been peaking at 110dB or more and averaging around 100dB). My ears suffered from the abuse for about a week. I've since pretty much given up on those type of performances. I don't enjoy it that loud and I want to keep my hearing for as long as possible.

Nice work on the track by the way. I could very easily listen to that. Nice spacious sound and the guitar playing reminds me of Jeff Healey. Can't fault it though I'd have probably preferred the guitar part a little louder. The spacious vocal works well.

Cheers,

Paavo.