Filter process explanation

Having problems using the greatest Visual Mastering software of the century? Use this area of the Forum to post your technical questions to Earle and Paavo regarding Har-Bal or ask questions regarding how to work on a certain area of the software? Post away!
dcdrums

Filter process explanation

Post by dcdrums »

Hello all;
I'm new to the forum after having Har-Bal for a year or so. I just started using it more seriously in the past few weeks. I've watched Earle's videos on filters several times and am a little confused as to the process to match the rest of the tracks on an album after I've created the filter. Here is what I think the process should be, let me know if I'm off base.

1. I open a file to work on, correcting it to my liking.
2. Save the file as filter.
3. Open another file and apply the filter to match the current file to the first file.
4. The file is changed to match the first file.
5. Do the same with all the tracks to achieve the same result.

What I'm finding is that the second file is not changed when i apply the filter. Am I missing something? How do I apply the filter I've created to the subsequent tracks?

Thanks for the help....

Drew
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

The process is:

1) load favourite(best sounding) track on compilation (select file/open menu) and design a filter to give the sound you wish. Then save that filter to a filter file (select file/filter/save as menu).
2) load the next track (select file/open menu) you wish to work on and then load the first track and corresponding filter as a reference (select File/Reference/Open menu). Now when you create a filter for the next track you can adjust it's shape to be spectrally consistent with the reference. You can also use the toggle reference button on playback to check if they sound consistent (A/B testing).

Note that I deliberately avoided saying matching the spectrum as you will undoubtedly not want to do that as the different instrumentation and different music from track to track will mean some tracks will necessarily be required to have different spectrum shapes to sound spectrally consistent. Read the tutorial for more pointers on how to go about doing this (help/example tutorial menu).

Cheers,

Paavo.
dcdrums

Post by dcdrums »

Ah, that's the part I must be missing, the reference part. I'll try it and see how it goes.

Thanks....