Frequently asked questions

har-bal
Site Admin

Frequently asked questions

Post by har-bal »

Its telling me to install the support libraries, which I already installed.

In Finder select the 'Go/Go to Folder...' menu. Now enter /usr/local and press Go. Now right click on lib in the files list and select the 'Get info' menu. Now click on Sharing and permissions. The folder should have read permission for all users and read and write permission for system. I believe yours does not. If it doesn't click on the lock and enter your administrator credentials when prompted and change the permissions as I suggested. After doing so it will run.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
If this is your first install of Har Bal 3.0 and it's asking for a licence key, press the Create button to create a license and then follow the instructions. Do not point it to the old Har-Bal 2.3 key. It will not work.

When you run Har-Bal it displays a message box saying it isn't licensed.

Create first and the Install second.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I searched your website and wasn’t able to find out if Har-Bal 3.0 will work on an older Power Mac with OS X, or if it’s just limited to the Newer Intel Macs.

I have an older Power Mac that I don’t want to drag out and set up if it wont work.

It must be OS X 10.6 or higher.
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************
What are all these files Har-Bal 3.0 creates when I load a song

Har-Bal creates a number of files to manage the new more capable filters in version 3. Those extra
files that it creates can be deleted when you no longer need them by using the Manage Files dialog
box (File/Manage Files... menu item).

*************************************************************************************************************************

Har-Bal can't use my old reference file.

HB3 has .hbref files instead which you create using the "File/Export as reference" menu command.

*************************************************************************************************
I am getting a message that states there is no app associated wth this file when I start Harbal via double
clicking its icon. If the path is similar to below, double click on the create folder.bat file

C: Docs and Setts \ADmin\local settns\appli DATA\Har BAl-3.0\create folder.bat

If you are running XP SP3, take a look at where HB is trying to install the license (it says
where in the mesage box giving the error). Then create that folder and try again.

Manually create the folder where har-bal is trying to write to and run again.

It's because XP SP3 is very old and does not have UAC (user access control) in it but Vista and 7
do. I even believe SP4 has some level of UAC support but not SP3.

*************************************************************************************************

I am searching for installed reference files? Any idea where I will find them as they don't seem to
have been installed?

See here for an answer.

http://www.har-bal.com/ipw-web/bulletin ... 95a6d40680
22d8

****************************************************************************************************

I have paid successfully. Where is my download information?

The link is on the invoice that gets emailed to you. It may take some time to reach you if the
RegNet servers are heavily loaded.

****************************************************************************************************
I cannot launch harbal 3- keeps saying your licence has expired, create another license. I am on win 7 64 bit.

I have installed the license but keep getting this message

How are you creating the license? Is the machine you are installing on connected to the internet? If not, do

you create the license in the manner stated in the message box that Har-Bal displays after you press the

create button? Finally, you must have an active network card on your machine as Har-Bal uses its MAC address

to identify the machine. If it is disabled then you cannot run Har-Bal on it because you cannot create a

license key.

I just installed Har-Bal 3.0 on my Mac-pro, running Lion, and every time I start Har-Bal I get a message

saying I have to install support files (done that twice) after that Har-Bal starts but I cant load any audio

files. This is the support file I use: Har-Bal 3.0 support libraries.mpkg

Click on Applications then Utilities and then start Terminal. At the prompt type ls /usr/local/lib and hit

enter.

You should see a bunch of libraries like libsndfile.dylib, libogg.dylib, libFLAC++.dylib etc. If you don't

then it isn't installed.
You must be logged on as an admin
****************************************************************************************
My machine is not connected to the internet

Press the create button when prompted to create a license.

The browser opens a html page called license.html or if you don't have a browser installed then Har-Bal tells

you where it is saved. If the browser is open you can go File Save As and save the html file to a thumb drive

and transfer it to your other machine. Similarly, if you don't have a browser you can copy the file from the

location stated in the Har-Bal message box to the thumb drive.

The only caveat is that you may need to change the options on explorer so that it will show files in the

accounts folders. Go to Tools/Folder options in explorer, click on the view tab and in the advanced settings

under the "files and folders/Hidden files and folders" folder make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is

selected.

The licenses are bound to the network device MAC address. You must have a network device on the computer (that

doesn't mean it needs to be connected to the internet) and create the license for that computer. When you

press the create button to create a license there is a message box displayed on Har-Bal. Follow the

instructions there to create a license for it.

When you press Create does a browser open up? If so then use the File/Save As menu item to save the

license.html to a thumb drive. Transfer it to a computer with internet connection and open it with a browser.

Then enter the required information and press create.

**************************************************************************************************
Why is my $29.95 price higher

Depending on where you are you may have to be charged tax. That would explain the difference. We can't change

that.

**************************************************************************************************

When I want to create a license a window says :

Har-Bal cannot be lincensed on this computer because you have no network card installed.
I just can click on OK, I can't save any file or HTLM page.

Har-Bal uses the network card MAC address to bind the license to the machine. You have to have a network card
to run Har-Bal. Virtually every computer sold these days has a network card built in. Is yours disabled?
If so then enable it. Otherwise you'll need to get a network card to run Har-Bal on that computer.

***************************************************************************************************
When I load a file Har-Bal crashes

Delete the .ini file

Close Har-Bal and delete the HarBal.ini file which lives in the folder,

C:\Users\{your user name}\AppData\Local\Har-Bal\Har-Bal 3.0

The file may be hidden. If so, open your explorer window.
Click on Tools/Folder Options/View and place a checkmark in (Show Hidden Files and Folders)

If you are on a Mac, follow the path below
Try going to the folder {your user name}/Application Support/Har-Bal/Har-Bal 3.0 and delete the file HarBal.ini.

***************************************************************************************************

Is there a demo?

We have a Har-Bal player which is freely distributable

The player is for demonstration purposes. You can freely distribute it. If you want to preview the filter with a client you can give him the player and have him install it and then just send the .hbfr file for the track to your client so they can try it out. It's smaller than sending the whole file and it makes it easy for them to hear what you've changed

We don't have a actual demo version of Har-Bal. We had one once but no one was using it so we gave up supporting it. Most people
just buy it to try, and then exercise the money back guarantee if it isn't to their satisfaction.

Requesting a new license

On pressing request a new license will be transferred to your browser. When prompted, save the created license

to disk, run Har-Bal, press the install button and point the file open dialog to the license file just saved.

The license will then be installed.

Sound files on a Mac

To install and run Har-Bal 3.0 on Mac OS X you must install the package contained in

Har-Bal-3.0_OSX_support-files.tar.gz . Without doing so Har-Bal will not be able to open any sound files.
Click on Applications then Utilities and then start Terminal. At the prompt type ls /usr/local/lib and hit
enter.

You should see a bunch of libraries like libsndfile.dylib, libogg.dylib, libFLAC++.dylib etc. If you don't
then it isn't installed

I just purchased Harbal 3 and have not received a link to the download site.

You should receive an invoice email from regnet with the link on it. It is here, you can log in with you

name and the Invoice order number.

Did you receive an invoice email from reg.net. The link is on there. The server is being hammered so there may

be a delay before you get it. Also check that it didn't end up in you SPAM folder.

I just purchased and downloaded HarBal 3.0 - when I try to run it form teh desktop I get an error message that

says 'this file does not have a programme associated with it for perfroming this action'. This error message

also stops me from installing the licence (although I have downloaded the file and can see it in downloads).

See the message box with the error message.

Note the path to the file it says it can't run. Using explorer to browse that file and double click on it to run it. Then try again.

When you run Har-Bal it displays a message box saying it isn't licensed.

Press the create button to create a license and then follow the instructions.

Create first, install second.

Once you've got the license file you don't unzip it. You run Har-Bal and press the install button when it asks
for a license.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Why do some MP3 files cause the program to close down

The mp3 conversion code is not perfect and never will be. It will only work with CBR mp3 files and even then we are sure you could probably find tracks it won't work properly with. It basically comes down to the support api for decoding mp3 via windows codec's being really badly design so that we have to dig through the file to try and figure out what sort of mp3 file it is. That's the cause of the problem and it is a very low priority so it is unlikely be fixed anytime soon.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

How many computers can you run Har-bal3 on ? I have it on my Mac.. But use my Pc also

When you buy a Har-Bal license you have access to both Mac OSX and Windows platforms. For each platform you have access to three authorizations from the current date to one year past.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Can I install Har-Bal 3.0 on a Windows 7 64bit machine?

You need to run as administrator to install the license on Windows 7. Once installed you can run as a normal user.
You don't have to be logged in as administrator except for installing license keys. Once installed it you can run with any account.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Lictar file creation....
I tried to create a license for Har Bal but I when look into the folder I saved the file nothing is there. I input my user name as well as order number.

Which folder did you save the file in? Which browser are you using?

Browsers typically have download dialogs which show you where you have downloaded the file to. For instance, in IE click on the Tools/View Downloads... menu item, or on firefox click on the downloads... menu item. Either you don't know where you've written it to, or your folder options are set such that the file is hidden.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
jekyll

Re: Frequently asked questions

Post by jekyll »

Ok, my machine has no internet connection, says it has no network card (Idon't even know what that means. Sorry) Does this mean I'm just sol or can I get refund , or what :( Or is there some other way to get a license key?
Steve
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: Frequently asked questions

Post by HarBal »

Jekyll,

I seriously doubt your machine does not have a network card. For more than a decade all PC's have been sold with integrated ethernet cards on the mother board and this applies to laptops as well. Having a network card and enabling it does not mean being connected to the internet. For instance, my Mac Mini has an inbuilt ethernet card that is active but the machine is NOT connected to the internet.

If you don't know what the ethernet card is or how to enable it, I'd suggest talking to the people you bought the machine from. If you know how to enable it but don't want to then your only option is a refund. We use the ethernet card as our software dongle and that isn't going to change.

cheers,

Paavo.