EQ/DYN/AIR TOGGLE BUTTONS: WHY TWO SETS? WHY NOT IN SYNC?

cadhunt

EQ/DYN/AIR TOGGLE BUTTONS: WHY TWO SETS? WHY NOT IN SYNC?

Post by cadhunt »

Why are their two sets of buttons to toggle air, EQ, and Dynamics - one set in the "regular" toolbar (horizontal) and one to the left of the "browser" pane (for lack of a better word), the latter being vertical (look at page 1 of the Har-Bal Tutorials section of the manual; the regular toolbar set is noted and explaint at point (5); the other is not explained anywhere that I can find).

What I'm seeing is that they act independently or are at least not visually in sync, so I don't know for sure whether any of the three processes is on or off. I found this out after doing some balancing and then toggling them both on and off and noticing a radical difference.

A guess - is the "normal" set (top, horizontal) the master toggle and the vertical set to the left for just the selection being processed, i.e., if you used split points to create a section? Not sure why that would be needed exactly(?)

In the end: Do they do the same thing? If so, why do they indicate independently (i.e., toggling one does not change the appearance/state of the other)?

HELP PLEASE - on a deadline, longtime HB user, trying to get used to 3.0!

Thank you
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: EQ/DYN/AIR TOGGLE BUTTONS: WHY TWO SETS? WHY NOT IN SYN

Post by HarBal »

The duplicate set of buttons to the side of the time line correspond to the selected segment. That is, what you see in the state of those buttons tells you whether or not those features are active for the selected segment. It allows you, for example, to take out the effect of EQ on a given segment without taking out the EQ in the rest of the track.

The buttons in the toolbar act on the whole track, not a given segment. They combine together in an AND logic fashion. So if Segment 1 has EQ off, segment 2 EQ on and toolbar EQ is on you get EQ applied to overarching filter in segment 1 and EQ applied to overarching filter plus EQ in segment 2 applied in segment 2. If toolbar EQ is off you get no EQ on all segments.

It's not something anyone is likely to use alot but as it was easy to implement and affords greater flexibility, I added it.

cheers,

Paavo.