What's New at Har-Bal!?

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
djaq

What's New at Har-Bal!?

Post by djaq »

Hey Guys,
I am a long time user and fan of har-bal and I have noticed that there has not been a release in several years and the forums are basically dead. Though the site seemed to have gotten a make-over (and lost some of its content). What is going on here!? I am a computer programmer for a living and would happily offer my assistance in getting a newer release out. Maybe even a multiplatformed one. Recently, I have been working on some vst/au plugins written in c++ using the "juce" library to take care of the platform issues. It's definately worth checking out. If nothing else, Paavo, you should release a DLL (and perhaps other platform libraries) that people could license from you for harbalizing portions of averaged FFT'd signals. Or if you're never gonna release anything again.. Go open source. :)

-djaq
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: What's New at Har-Bal!?

Post by HarBal »

I know you've already found this link explaining the current state of play, but this is for anyone else you chances on your question:

http://www.har-bal.com/ipw-web/bulletin ... 5261#p5227

To follow up on things a bit, the re-write is still progressing at a stead rate but as mentioned in the above thread, there is still much to do. Maybe soon I'll set up a page on the website showing the progress to date but I'm reticent to at the moment for fear of being inundated with questions about the next version that may drag me away from what I should be doing.

On the issue of your programming support offer, thank you, though I fear the complexity of the logistics makes employing off-site help rather problematic, unless set up as an open source project, and even in that case setting up the initial source base and managing it is no trivial task. In any case, I have no intention of making Har-Bal open source as yet but I have toyed with the idea of starting an open source DAW project that integrates Har-Bal and related ideas. However, I simply don't have the time for that right now so that will remain a distant idea for the time being.

Another reason I'm reticent to go down the open source route with Har-Bal is avoiding the inevitable fights over development direction (and possible project forking) whilst Har-Bal is in a developmentally immature state. I want to avoid "design by committee" and build a robust and architecturally consistent product, which I find considerably easy to do following my current approach.

Regards,

Paavo.