M/S processing with Har-Bal

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
analogic

M/S processing with Har-Bal

Post by analogic »

Hi Paavo and Earle,

For the possible future update plans of Har-Bal, I would like to propose one thing: Har-Bal might have M/S (mid-side) processing capability. For instance, a stereo mix can be analyzed and converted into its M/S components inside the Har-Bal. Then we can harbalize those two sections independently... 8)

Let’s say we have a mix whose low-mid (or any) frequencies in the M (mid) region could be manipulated without affecting the similar frquency content existing in the S (side) region. Perhaps there could be two dedicated Har-Bal windows one of them is used to EQ the M component, and the other one can be used to EQ the S component. Since these filtering processes do not affect each other, it would give the mastering engineer further flexibility, and probably obtain even better results with the power of Har-Bal. It would be really even more fantastic mastering EQ...

Cheers

Kursat
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: M/S processing with Har-Bal

Post by HarBal »

Hi Kursat,

Thanks for the suggestion.

If you care to read this post carefully (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1017) you'll note that mid/side processing is already part of the new design. The new filter model includes independent filtering of mid,side left and right components.

When we finish re-writing this beast I think you will be suitably impressed with the extra power the new structure gives. We are getting there slowly but surely!

regards,

Paavo.
analogic

Re: M/S processing with Har-Bal

Post by analogic »

Hi Paavo,

Great to hear that new version will have M/S capability as well! I will have checked that post once again. Looking forward to experience the new version soon. 8)

Best regards

Kursat