Free Reference Files

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
har-bal
Site Admin

Free Reference Files

Post by har-bal »

Please let us know if there are any specific sound files you are looking for and are unable to locate.

Of course you can create your own though.

Remember the URL is www.har-bal.com/reference

Earle
Last edited by har-bal on Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sstillwell

Post by sstillwell »

How about symphonic Harp?...the full-grown monster, not the smaller Irish lap harp...
har-bal
Site Admin

Hmmmm!

Post by har-bal »

Okay

I will try and locate one for you.

Earle
sstillwell

Post by sstillwell »

Very cool.

I did a recording of an outdoor concert recently. My normal technique was to throw an XY pair over the conductor's left shoulder, about 11' up, tilted down into the orchestra, but this was under a tent and I couldn't get the height...

The performance was also extensively mic'ed up for reinforcement, including a mic on the harp...the SR provider just threw some anonymous A-T mic on the floor in front of the harp...well, not threw it, but you get the idea.

I tapped out of his board to get additional signals, mostly subgroup outs (you can always leave 'em out, but once the show's over you can't go back and get 'em!), and I took a direct out on the harp.

The harp signal is hmmm...just WRONG...can't really describe it, other than it needs help. That's where the reference will really help. I've tweaked it with Cambridge EQ on my UAD-1, and that helps a LOT...but I can't help but feel that I could do better.

This program has done absolute wonders for my mixes...and for classical stuff more than anything else! This harp problem is on a performance that will be the fourth CD I've produced for this orchestra...they keep coming back!

Thanks again!

Scott
Paavo

Post by Paavo »

Scott,

That sounds great. I've always had a deep admiration for the way that classical music recording engineers can get such a great sound with such few mics. But then again if the environment is working against you it doesn't always work.

I'm curious about these classical CD's you've done. Are they commercial releases? If so I'd like to know the details so that I can look out for them.

Cheers,

Paavo.
sstillwell

Post by sstillwell »

blush... Nah...this isn't on a label, per se, it's a local symphony orchestra in Missouri. They're quite talented, but it's all volunteer. I can post some excerpts somewhere, if you'd like a listen, but unless you come to a concert, you probably won't find a CD. I've been trying to get them to switch replication services (maybe somebody like Oasis), and try to use something like CDBaby or Amazon for additional distribution and exposure.

As far as mics go...I'm having REALLY, REALLY good luck with Marshall MXL603S...they are absolutely mind-boggling for the money (US$75 ea.)

Someday I'll have the cash to spring for DPA or Schoeps into Millenia preamps, but for now the 603S into a MAudio DMP3 comes out surprisingly well. The 603S' have a pronounced "haystack" rise at around 10K, which really helps for distance miking, and the DMP3 is as quiet as the grave and very, very neutral.
har-bal
Site Admin

Found one

Post by har-bal »

sstillwell wrote:How about symphonic Harp?...the full-grown monster, not the smaller Irish lap harp...

We have placed a symphonic harp on the server under the "Lutes and Guitars" folder.

Earle
sstillwell

Post by sstillwell »

Outstanding! Thanks!
everett

Re: Found one

Post by everett »

har-bal wrote:
sstillwell wrote:How about symphonic Harp?...the full-grown monster, not the smaller Irish lap harp...

We have placed a symphonic harp on the server under the "Lutes and Guitars" folder.

Earle

Hi Earle,

Just wondering where you found the symphonic harp? Is it from a sample CD or yr. own recording? I really would like to get hold of samples of this instrument so if you have a resource it would be much appreciated.
best regards

Everett Hoskins
Cari Vaughn Music
har-bal
Site Admin

How have you been!!

Post by har-bal »

Everett

I believe they came from http://www.findsounds.com

I also placed a lon links list in our forum. There are thousands of samples you can browse through.

You can also try here. I have placed numerous links in our forum.

http://har-bal.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/ ... .php?t=183

Good luck

Earle