Export 31 Band EQ Settings

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
Michael Hansen

Export 31 Band EQ Settings

Post by Michael Hansen »

Currently the export settings only allows saving the FIR filter coefficients to a text file - it would be really great with an export function that lets you define the format, for example the approximate settings for a 31 Band grahic EQ.

I am currently using the frequency response view to inspect the changes Harbal does, and move these to my external rack EQ - it works great, its just a very very tedious job inspecting the values for a 31 band EQ, and moreover I loose precision by inspecting the values in the Harbal curves - a more precise representation could be rendered for a 31 band EQ.

Btw is there a way to convert the FIR coeffs to dB/Hz values? (I guess I'm asking for a formula so I can program a tool myself.. I have no clue whatsoever about FIR coeffs).

Regards,

Michael Hansen
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

THe FIR coefficients are the filters impulse response. Its frequency response is the Fourier transform of those but you don't need to bother doing that yourself as the frequency response view shows you that. I may support what you suggest and more (ie. support for parametrics as well) at some future date but it isn't a high priority. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Regards,

Paavo.
Michael Hansen

Post by Michael Hansen »

Hi Paavo,

I need the frequency response represented in a format that makes sense when I work with physical equipment (e.g. my rack units). Harbal is great as long as I work on recorded material, but it can also be used for working out some very precise settings for hardware EQ's, which I currently do manually, ie. write down the response values for the corresponding bands on my 31 band EQ.

Anyway, if such an export feature is low prio, I'll just have to figure out the FIR stuff and make the tool myself, because I'm getting insane by inspecting freq. response view with the mouse for all 31 bands ;)
Perhaps you could post/email some info about the filter type and the method used to make it.

Regards,

Michael
uncajesse

Post by uncajesse »

I feel like mentioning that even if you had a tool to convolute 31 "bands" of values from the "frequency response" view in Har-Bal, it still wouldn't be able to compensate for the unique phase-shifts introduced by your analog EQ. That effects the final "sound" of the EQ filter on the analog end by 3db or more, depending on the source material, how much EQing is used, and how much phase-shift your analog EQ introduces.

Usually the phase-shift & smearing on 1/3rd octave analog EQs is considerable.