Air Filter Suggestion

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
Jrel

Air Filter Suggestion

Post by Jrel »

I've noticed that when I add in Air from 5% to 8%, my songs sound fantastic. However, I've also noticed that the low end gets slightly fuller (bigger) in the process; specifically in my songs, the freqs of 100 Hz and below are affected. Unfortunately, this is a bad thing for on my dance songs because even the low amounts of air make the bass cloudier/muddier. The bass end needs to be tight and controlled (mono) as much as possible. I've remedied this issue on some of my songs with a setting of 3% air, but that little air isn't noticeable at the high end either (which is where I really want it).

I would like to suggest there be an option or setting in Har-bal where I can to set the air to only affect/apply at the frequency I choose and up (towards the high end). This way I can get the air where I want it on the high end, and leave the low end alone.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I'm rather surprised that it is having a significant effect on your bottom end particularly if you have mono bass. Air only adds the mid component (left - right) back in so if it is mono bass it shoulbe be adding precisely nothing at the bottom end. However, in future revisions I'll look into applying high pass filtering to the mid component to mitigate your problem. ON the other hand, I suspect the effect you are hearing is caused by a different side effect than the one you are suggesting.

Paavo.
Jrel

Post by Jrel »

HarBal wrote:I'm rather surprised that it is having a significant effect on your bottom end particularly if you have mono bass. Air only adds the mid component (left - right) back in so if it is mono bass it shoulbe be adding precisely nothing at the bottom end. However, in future revisions I'll look into applying high pass filtering to the mid component to mitigate your problem. ON the other hand, I suspect the effect you are hearing is caused by a different side effect than the one you are suggesting.

Paavo.

I think I know what the issue may be. I like having some "fizz" on my synth bass and the air setting brings it out. I've put up some samples of the same song at www.jrelx.com/pub/music . Song1 is the normal version. Song1air8pct is with air 8 % added. The bass sound is mono below 250 Hz (thanks to the optium FX Basslane plugin). To me, the air seems to soften the hardness of the kick.