Slot for a VST effect before final output

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
DuncJF

Slot for a VST effect before final output

Post by DuncJF »

I know that the VST side of this fell by the wayside because of complications, however, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a VST capable slot avaliable just before the final output (kind of like a mini host built in to Harbal in a fixed place just before final output).

The reason I am wondering/suggesting this is because, I do a lot of Headphone stuff at night and cannot really have my monitors on (bloomin' neighbours :( ).

I'm getting pretty good at doing this on my heaphones with only minor changes required when I can use my monitors to check my headphone made adjustments. Working with headphones however, is quite fatiguing due to the lack of crossfeed from one ear to the other (the brain doesn't like working without the normal stereo field reaching both ears over extended periods). I can get round this as I have a couple of VST effect program's that can simulate this pretty well and would like to use them if possible within Harbal.

I don't know if this is possible, just an idea that's all. Anybody else think this may a good idea...

Dunc
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

We have plans to host plugins in future releases. It requires a re-write though.

Paavo.
DuncJF

Post by DuncJF »

Thanks for the reply Paavo.

It's good to know that it's a possibility at least.

8)
shanecgriffo

Post by shanecgriffo »

i wonder if there is any way to run the audio from harbal into a host say like cubase.. i know with my soundcard it doesnt seem possible .. i guess you would need something like re-wire then thats all probably a bit difficult..
DuncJF

Post by DuncJF »

Thanks for awakening my brain Shane.

After reading your post I thought, "I'm using an EMU 1820m, I must be able to connect it through somehow..."

After much scratching of my head and rewiring of physical outputs to inputs, I have succeded in getting Harbal into my Host (Podium) so that I can live run Harbal into VST effects :shock:

How did I do it...erm :oops: I scrapped all the rewiring and simply got my EMU 1820m wave channel strip to insert send it to ASIO in 1/2 Host. Bloomin simple after all the mucking about i've just done.:lol:

I'm not sure how many other Audio cards can do this sort of thing (hopefully quite a lot of them), but I would be interested to know if anyone else is able to do this and what Audio card they are using.

Of course an internal VST slot in Harbal is still the best way for everyone, but I hope at least some of us can make do for the time being.
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

... now if one could sync HB to an external source.

Yes, I can run HB, on a second computer, sorta like an external VST or efx device.

I can transfer, for instance, a bass track from Pro Tools (on my Mac) to HB (on my PC).

I could use multiple HBs if there was a way to sync them. Or, even just one would be great!

Right now I 'attempt' to manually sync HB to PT to get an idea of the EQing done by HB - I can usually get pretty close.

After I like the HB EQ effect, I record or transfer the file back to PT and nudge +/- by comparing to the original.