Any news on the Mac version?

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
djanthonyw

Any news on the Mac version?

Post by djanthonyw »

Hi there, I was wondering if there was any news on the development for the Mac version of Har-Bal? I started my transition over to Mac about a year ago and HB is the only program that is keeping me from selling my PC.

I know that when HB is released for Mac it was said that it will be a free update for people that have already purchased it for PC, but how about this. What if who ever has bought the PC version would offer to pay for it again for the Mac platform? Would this help to speed up development for OSX because I'm sure I'm not the only one who is willing to do this! I am even willing to donate more.

I like to keep things simple in my work flow, but right now I have an extra machine that I don't really need with a KVM switch in my setup and to be honest I really can't wait to completely get rid of my Windows machines. Yea, I mean it's not a horrible way to work but it would make my life easier if I was only using my prefered platform.

So to sum things up...I am willing to pay for Har-Bal again just for the Mac version, and would even donate more money. I'm sure everyone who is in the same position as myself would do the same, not to mention all of the people that haven't bought HB yet that are on the Mac platform :!:
LoTekRoolz

Here Here

Post by LoTekRoolz »

...I don't have a Mac...But if I did (and I want one)... I would certainly re-purchase Har-Bal if it was available. I am completely dependant on it.

Cheers,

Lotek.
"Walk softly in the presence of cheetahs...you are tasty with hot sauce."
har-bal
Site Admin

Re: Any news on the Mac version?

Post by har-bal »

djanthonyw wrote:Hi there, I was wondering if there was any news on the development for the Mac version of Har-Bal? I started my transition over to Mac about a year ago and HB is the only program that is keeping me from selling my PC.

I know that when HB is released for Mac it was said that it will be a free update for people that have already purchased it for PC, but how about this. What if who ever has bought the PC version would offer to pay for it again for the Mac platform? Would this help to speed up development for OSX because I'm sure I'm not the only one who is willing to do this! I am even willing to donate more.

I like to keep things simple in my work flow, but right now I have an extra machine that I don't really need with a KVM switch in my setup and to be honest I really can't wait to completely get rid of my Windows machines. Yea, I mean it's not a horrible way to work but it would make my life easier if I was only using my prefered platform.

So to sum things up...I am willing to pay for Har-Bal again just for the Mac version, and would even donate more money. I'm sure everyone who is in the same position as myself would do the same, not to mention all of the people that haven't bought HB yet that are on the Mac platform :!:

I have deleted the poll because we already promised we would not charge an additional fee to our registered users when the Mac version is finished.

Please understand.

Earle
djanthonyw

Post by djanthonyw »

Hi there Earle, I completely understand the kind of great service that you're trying to offer your current customers including myself, but what I'm trying to say is that I'm sure people who want the Mac version will OPTIONALLY pay for it so that it could possibly speed up development.

I'm not trying to have you change your crossgrade policy at all, I'm just saying that I'm sure people are willing to help support you even further for something that benefits them greatly!
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Now that the 2.3 saga is out of the way I'm switching back to the re-write of Har-Bal (including the Mac support).

My first impression on the re-write process was to completely re-build the analysis engine and the complexities of my new ideas have bogged me down a bit. To give myself more time to digest this thinking I've put the new analysis part aside and will be working on a 1:1 functional mapping of 2.3 onto the new structure.

This is largely a no-brain excercise (albeit a time consuming one) so I should be able to make good progress on the re-write. I'll keep you posted on my progress but don't expect much soon. There is a lot of ground work to complete before anything functional becomes available.

regards,

Paavo.
djanthonyw

Post by djanthonyw »

Hi Paavo, I was just wondering if you had any news on this situation?
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

I've done part of the GUI port and part of the back end port.

The big issue holding me up is the new more comprehensive analysis engine. The idea behind it is simple though the implementation of it has been a challenge. I'm at a critical stage that requires a lot of clear time and no distractions but I've had a lot of difficulty finding that clear time.

I'm not one to give up though, so I'll battle ahead and implement this damned thing because I have to. It is pivotal to taking Har-Bal further. However, given my difficulty in finding distraction free time, I'm not in a good position to give a time-line for this so I'll decline to offer one so as to not give false expectations to those who are waiting on this. I hear you all and am working toward making it happen.

regards,

Paavo.
JTroska

Post by JTroska »

Just PLEASE let it work on a Power Mac and not just the newer Intel Macs. Oh man, that would be the wost tease ever... Waiting all this time and then it's ported to a Mac machine I don't have. :cry:
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Well, provided I can pick up a powerPC Mac to compile and test on that shouldn't be a problem. When I'm ready to do so hopefully I'll be able to pick one up second hand from somewhere.

Cheers,

Paavo.
djanthonyw

Post by djanthonyw »

Hi, any news, estimated date, or any kind of update on the Mac version yet? Also when the time is right, how do I become eligible to beta test?
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

It's happening slowly but steadily and I'm not about to give any indications of when. Still too much work to be done for me to feel comfortable with that. All I'll say for now is that the new analysis back end is done and a shell of a gui is done but there's much sandwiched in between to be done. However, the far more detailed analysis engine will make many more things possible that are currently not possible in Har-Bal, so I'd argue that it is definitely worth the wait.

Regards,

Paavo.

PS - When we have need for beta testers we'll let you know.
djanthonyw

Post by djanthonyw »

Wow, nice, thanks for the quick reply Paavo. I'll be waiting.
djanthonyw

Post by djanthonyw »

Hi Paavo, love the new website, hope all is going well. Is there any news regarding the Mac version by any chance?
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

To get an idea of what I'm working on read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1017

Making steady progress on the re-write. At this point in time I've got the ability to build split segment analyses and complex filters to go with them. I've got the gui front end to navigate and manage all this. Still need to add the complex time selection tool (or whatever I end up calling it).

I'm about to switch over to working on the filtering engine so I can actually hear what these complex filters might sound like. Hopefully I should have most of that side of things sorted in a month, at which point I'll switch back to the gui and adding the complex time selection.

So far so good. I'm very pleased with the outcomes I've made to date. I don't anticipate many problems progressing this further, though a few of the things I've referred to in the above thread may not be implemented in the first release. It's just too much to handle. Be that as it may, the amount of extra stuff in this draft compared with current HarBal is considerable, so when you get to see it I don't think you'll be dissappointed.

Cheers,

Paavo.
djanthonyw

Post by djanthonyw »

Hi, is the Mac version still in development?