Synching Har-Bal

This area of the Forum is where you can post your suggestions and ideas for future update releases of Har-Bal, as well as any gripes you may have on the software, its useability and its interface.
zumbido

Synching Har-Bal

Post by zumbido »

Paavo and Earle,

Anymore thoughts and/or considerations as to having Har-Bal synch to an external source (i.e., MTC)?

I used HB to EQ a upright piano along with a full track today.

It's a hit 'n miss to manually synch but I can get it close enough to 'play' with the EQ to hear the piano along with the rest of the music.

After I acheived the desired EQ, I record the file back into Pro Tools and manually align using the original track as a guide.

If I could just synch Har-Bal... something like the way I can run Melodyne in stand-alone while I tune 'stuff'.
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Not as a minor revision but certainly I can try it out as a feature in the full re-write. It would be predicate on using an ASIO driver since I'd be using the ASIO api to support it.

Regards,

Paavo.
SynthRiot

Rewire

Post by SynthRiot »

If HarBal is in sync with a host sequencer like Cubase etc. it would be nice if the audio is feeded back into a ReWire channel.

Anyway.
It means that HarBal isn't stand alone but integrated in a ASIO enviroment.
It changes from a "analyzer/equalizer machine" to a "synchronized mastering suite".

:!:

Nitro
It's the question that drives us ...
AF

Post by AF »

Hi Zum

Anton here (DA7) remember!

I'm missing something here - what advantage would there be in running it in sync?

I love Har-Bal but haven't much time over the summer months to get to grips with it yet

By the way, it's all your fault I ended up buying it!!! Still it is a great little piece of kit

Cheers
Anton
HarBal
Site Admin

Post by HarBal »

Hi Anton,

I think Zumbido's point, which I like by the way, is this. You've got a mix your working on and one of the instruments presents a bit of an issue in the mix and you'd like to EQ it. Using the DAW parametric EQ doesn't get you the results you'd like so you'd like to try using Har-Bal instead, but you can't run Har-Bal in mix so it is difficult to know how it will sound when you put it all together.

Now if Har-Bal could be synchronised then in mix adjustment could be achieved as you simply synch Har-Bal with your DAW and adjust the part in Har-Bal to your hearts content. I think Zumbido sometimes does this the manual way (ie. attempts to manually sync Har-Bal with his DAW) though this has obvious problems.

I actually like the idea a lot. It sort of gives you the effect of being able to use it as a plugin without being a plugin and allows Har-Bal to work to its maximum effectiveness (something you couldn't achieve if it were a plugin). Just have to implement it...

Cheers,

Paavo.
AF

Post by AF »

Bingo!

Thanks Paavo, I see exactly where you're coming from now

Yeah, that would be a cool mod to be able to run it more or less like a plugin on either a track or the overall mix output

Cheers
Anton
mflorio

Re: Synching Har-Bal

Post by mflorio »

Sort of sounds like the way Gigastudio works. I guess you would sync HB to MTC (Midi Time Code) or something, and the audio in HB would have to be timestamped obviously so Har-Bal knows when it starts. Interesting idea...

Mike
zumbido

Re: Synching Har-Bal

Post by zumbido »

I think it could be VERY useful.

I'd probably mostly use it with multitracked drums where I can submix the many tracks to a stereo mix then apply HB (synched) in realtime along with the rest of the music playing.