mixing to master?

Please post your Mixing Question here for Pro Tools, Logic Audio and GigaStudio. Zumbido is our resident expert.

mxomtk2k

mixing to master?

Post by mxomtk2k »

Hello,

I have a question that has bugged me for a very long time (well 2 questions really)
The other day I part finished a mix I was working on for a blues/contemporary song. I wanted to check the mix on other sources so I took it round to a friends house who has a reasonable stereo to listen on. On first listen I was quite disapointed with what I heard, no mid range and sizzling highs, Nothing like what HARBAL 'looked' like or how it sounded on my monitors. (common problem I know) I then realised he had his stereo set on a preset EQ commonly called 'Rock' and upon inspection I saw what I was hearing in the EQ from the stereo, scooped mids and boosted lows and highs. I then changed to a preset called 'blues' and all of a sudden the mix sounded just as I intended, clear and crisp.
So first question, should I take a stereos preset eq's into account when checking mixes on other sources or should it sound ok no matter what the setting? It feels like I am trying to make it sound good when I fiddle with eq on a stereo, if this makes sence.

The other question is all together different.
I have been reading and watching countless amounts of interviews from famous producers, mix engineers and mastering engineers alike over the last few years and there is always a major dissagreement between mix engineers and mastering engineers concering master stereo buss proccessing during mix down. Countless world famous mix engineers say the use both stereo compression and eq on the final stereo buss, and swear by it, whereas mastering engineers tell us to avoid it like the plauge.
I do understand why they say not to as it limits what they can ultimately achieve in mastering, but if it is used sparingly and tastefully to help achieve a balance in the mix without compromising dynamic range is it really such a sin?

Thanks,
nigel.
mix-o-matic 2000
HarBal
Site Admin

Re: mixing to master?

Post by HarBal »

As far as portability checks go, by all means, try it out in other environments with other stereos but always with the tone controls flat or defeated. The problem with trying to mix and master for a certain tone control setting is that everybody is different. Some people always have bass and treble full on some boost the mids and some don't use them at all. Stereo setups can be rather unusual too with many people putting stereo speakers in the most in-appropriate places for good sound reproduction.

On that basis I think the only logical way to assess is with tone controls defeated and don't be too critical as it is impossible to make it sound great on everybodies stereo as the variety in performance is rather large. The only way to maintain clarity over a wide variety of systems is to keep it bass light as that's where the most common problems are. On the other hand, I'd guess the largest market share of music listeners in the world today are listening through mp3 players and laptop speakers so in both cases big bass is generally not going to be a problem.

On the second question, I guess it depends on the quality of the mix to start with. If mix balance is good then I see no reason not to apply some compression to the mix at mix stage, given you feel it adds something to the recording. In such cases I'd argue that the mastering engineer is simply arguing from the perspective of my gear's better than yours so let me do it. However, if your mix environment is biased by poor room acoustics and monitoring issues then it certainly makes sense to leave it to the mastering engineer, assuming his monitoring environment is properly calibrated. I don't think it is a definitive yes or no issue.

Cheers,

Paavo.
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

Hello Nigel

One of the biggest problems most folks have when attempting to master a track is getting it to sound great everywhere.

Here is a solution:

Use your regular mastering chain:

1. Har-Bal - for rogue resonances
2. EQ sparingly
3. Mid Side Compressor -Use sparingly - Great for controlling the image - Use Fabfilter Pro C
4. Wide Band Compressor - ***************To glue the track together***********
5. Limiter Set at outceiling -0.1db / Set Threshold so there is movement in the meter
6 . Download this free tool and place it last in your chain after the limiter -
http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=4

Keep # 6 up while you are making your adjustments with your wide band compressor.

By looking at the Plugin) s(M)exoscope in #6 you will see why your music does not have portability. It is much easier to listen to your music if the waveform is balanced. This tool gives you the ability to look at the changes you are making to the waveform in real time. You will also be able to see if you are overcompressing. The idea is to blend all the elements and still give them space to breathe. You basically want to get your waveform balanced vertically so it looks about even as the waveform is moving in real time from right to left in this tool.

You will notice that as you start gluing the track using the wideband compressor none of the elements are no longer jumping out at you. The bass area starts to sit well inside the track and the vocals enevelope the music beautifully.

You may also use hardware to accomplish this task after #4.

Can you please try this and let me know how it is sounding to you.

Cheers

Earle
mxomtk2k

Post by mxomtk2k »

Hello Earl,

Thanks for your reply also, very helpful indeed. I will be trying that for sure and I will get back to you asap. I tried the link you put up to download the plugin and could not get it to work, I will try again soon as I also tried going straight to the main page of the website and that did not display either.

Thanks once again and I will reply with my results soon,

Nigel.
mix-o-matic 2000
mxomtk2k

Post by mxomtk2k »

PS
and sorry for spelling your name wrong too! :oops:

Nigel
mix-o-matic 2000
mxomtk2k

Post by mxomtk2k »

Earle,

Got both those plugins you mentioned so I will give it a try soon and get back to you.

Nigel Mauchline.
mix-o-matic 2000