Fundamental frequnecy

Please post your Mixing Question here for Pro Tools, Logic Audio and GigaStudio. Zumbido is our resident expert.

Hitmaker

Fundamental frequency

Post by Hitmaker »

Zumbido ,

There seems to be a misunderstanding here .... I was referring to the trace of a single ( mythical ) instrument as displayed in Har-Bal .... not to a simultameously sounded series of notes ... although I agree , an harmonic series ( dependent on the degree of expression of each overtone ) .. may depict such 'chords' ....
My understanding is that a square wave will produce a spectrum of odd-numbered harmonics .... From that example , with 75 Hz as the fundamental ... overtones at 75 , 225 , 375 , 525 ( and on ... ) Hz . Our example series is of even-only harmonics ( if fundamental = 75 Hz )

By undertone , I was refering to a subharmonic .... not a differential tone ... which presumes chorded playing ( the trace could be of a monophonic instrument ... or any instrument played monophonically ) .

Thanks for putting what I was attempting to impart in another form ...

If you examine our hypothetical trace , the only starting point that creates a series of multiples is 150 Hz ..... as you point out , if started at 75 Hz , there are 'holes' ....

" Remember, overtones are a 'pure Intonation' but we commonly use 'Equal Temperment' so this is why there are slight differences in the values of like-notes. "

Yep ... it's rare that they'll be exactly where they 'should' ....

"By the way, some instruments produce a 'louder' 2nd overtone than the fundamental."

Sure ... they're small ones ....

All the more reason to know how to identify an harmonic series by frequency ... the curve of the trace may be deceiving ...

Cheerz ...
" I hate compression with a vengeance . I avoid it . I'm a great believer in the dynamic range being preserved " Alan Parsons