pro tools relink message prob

Please post your Mixing Question here for Pro Tools, Logic Audio and GigaStudio. Zumbido is our resident expert.

danni

pro tools relink message prob

Post by danni »

I'm using an external drive for all my audio files and had to relocate a bunch that were saved in other places on my computer's internal drive (ie. desktop). Now they are all on the external drive. However when I close a session it says there are some tasks incomplete....the task is that it wants to relink an audio file that I imported from a cd. yet that audio file is there - its not missing. I try to relink it anyway just to get rid of the message - I dont know if anything happens at all - but I try to close again and the same message again. I end up closing it with these supposed imcomplete tasks everytime. Annoying! Nothing seems incomplete the next time I open it. What the heck?
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

I need more details to your problem.

However, when you open a PT song file, does it tell you that certain files are mising (i.e., audio or fade files)?

You may have to 're-link' the various audio and fade files. Since you have moved them around you have broken links. If you have the patience and stamina, locate all the missing files and re-save. But you really need to ORGANIZE beforehand.

I STRONGLY suggest keeping all of your audio files and fade files on a seperate hard drive from the hard drive where you keep your OS and applications.

The surest way, in the future, is to launch Pro Tools (the application) and IMMEDIATELY save to a KNOWN destination (preferably a unique named folder). Then close this file, go to where you saved it, and reopen. You will now have the song flie, an 'Audio Files' folder and a 'Fade Files' folder within your 'named folder'. I always use 'Save As' to verify where I am saving things. If you set up PT to automatically save every predetermind amount of time you will also have a 'Backup Files' folder. This will save your a$$ if and when your computer crashes.

Also NAME audio files and tracks. Don't get lazy and let PT name them "Audio_01", 'Audio_02', etc. You'll end up with a million "Audio_01" files all over the place.

By the way, if your work is that important to you, get another drive to back up. I have a Medea external hard drive that is actually four smaller drives in one. The third drive died. Fortunately, I back up. EVERYTHING became useless since it' was 'splattered' all over the four smaller drives.