Harbal in the mix

Please post your Mixing Question here for Pro Tools, Logic Audio and GigaStudio. Zumbido is our resident expert.

Carmichael

Harbal in the mix

Post by Carmichael »

1. I've read the posts about this, but just to clarify, for individual tracks in the mix, is it smart to use har-bal to hammer some of the biggest peaks and / or to try to match a reference file for that particular instrument in a general sense with broad srokes. I assume I don't want the spectrum too flat (dead), but, if we just harmonically balance the average spectrum for the final mix, we miss a ton of peaks and valleys that occur in the middle of the song that get averaged out in the har-bal spectrum and might be helped by a little balancing of each instrument?

2. What is the maximum sampling rate for har-bal (48k?)

2. Anyone have reference files of a solo male singer (acapella) - I just am not finding this. I am about to post what I consider some nice acapella grand piano references. Will likely persue some other ref files (ie kick drum, toms, mandolin, etc)

3. Is it smart to significantly limit each track (each instrument) pre-mixdown (ie with Waves L1) for relatively acoustic tracks like piano and voice-- this seems to improve clarity (separation of the instruments) and makes it a little easier to know what the mix will sound like after the final ultramaximizer, but deadens the sound --less interaction between the tracks and maybe less exciting.

4. I would love to send an MP3 to Earle for help with a filter (the filter bank forum) -- one with acoustic piano and vocals because the piano is killing me -- do you know where I upload the MP3 file?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carmichael

Post by Carmichael »

#2 Ok. I just read that sample rate is determined by the sound card but only that above 96 khz the ability to make very narrow eq changes suffers. This is great news. Three questions to go.

#1 to clarify, would you focus more with individual tracks on shaping tone to somewhat resemble ref files or on harmonic balancing or a little of both or none?

#4 I discovered Earl's website www.hdqtrz.com so I may just go through that route. (someone really should get paid if they listen to this mix).

Thanks
har-bal
Site Admin

Post by har-bal »

Carmichael wrote:#2 Ok. I just read that sample rate is determined by the sound card but only that above 96 khz the ability to make very narrow eq changes suffers. This is great news. Three questions to go.

#1 to clarify, would you focus more with individual tracks on shaping tone to somewhat resemble ref files or on harmonic balancing or a little of both or none?

#4 I discovered Earl's website www.hdqtrz.com so I may just go through that route. (someone really should get paid if they listen to this mix).

Thanks

Carmichael

Send me a your song in mp3 format and I will take a look at it. Use the www.hdqtrz.com site

Cheers

Earle