Replacing instruments/tracks (with audio examples)

Please post your Mixing Question here for Pro Tools, Logic Audio and GigaStudio. Zumbido is our resident expert.

zumbido

Replacing instruments/tracks (with audio examples)

Post by zumbido »

I've been working on this project recently. I thought it may be interesting to those with similar dilemas - bad sounding tracks.

This 'artist' had tracked, mixed and mastered 12 songs at another facility. He came to me dissappointed with the results. After listening to what he had, I suggested, at the least, remixing.

Upon beginning the first song it became obvious, among many other things that the drums were horribly recorded - not the drummers fault, what he played was very good. Also, there was also severe distortion on the bass track that destroyed the bass tone. A bad overall mix (phase problems, too). The so-called mastering is atrocious - distortion and all mid-range (he obviously knows nothing of Har-Bal).

1) Here’s what the client had done with the other 'trained professional mixer/masterer':

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=11VG ... DKU0SP0D3A

2) My attempt at repair:

I imported the wav files into PT from his project that was originally recorded onto an Alesis HD24. I replaced the drums (Drumagog, DrumTools, BFD), replayed the bass (I am a bassist) and sequenced the piano (used the GigaStudio stock grand) from listening to the originally-played piano track. All the other tracks are as were supplied. The artist handled the vocal tuning decisions (I just clicked the mouse).

I did my best with the out of tune horns - worked in some samples from GigaStudio here & there. The guitar parts were (apparently) recorded at the guitarist’s house with what sounded like a Radio Shack mic and Sears Silvertone amp. I utilized Amp Farm. I wish I had had a ‘clean’ track alongside the guitarist’s attempted sound, would’ve been so much easier to edit and either re-amp or use the AmpFarm plug-ins. The only instrument that was recorded okay was the B3. I used Beat Detective a lot.

Here’s the remix:

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=14YZ ... 7PUJ7OEUH8

Client likes it. Finished it within the budget.

3) Mastered the mix with Har-Bal and T-RackS:

The client is going for a Santana (Smooth) sound. About 10 years too late, though. I got a copy of the Santana track, imported it into Har-Bal to see what the 'big-boys' had done. The artist and I decided to make his track a bit brighter than Santana's, but keep the rest similar.

Here’s the mastering:

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=11GS ... BXGISV0FJW

Be advised: These samples are appx 16 MB, 90 seconds, 16-bit, 44.1, aif files.

You can load them side-by-side in an editor to A-B-C them or analyze them in Har-Bal.

Any criticism would be appreciated.
dke

Post by dke »

To be honest I thought the original was pretty good, but the repair and master you've done is alot better. Better clairty, punch and overall sound. The only negative I hear (and this would really be nit picking) is the mastering brought out some of the nasty tones in the solo a bit more than the unmastered version, though I think it still sounds really good, nothing I'd be worried about if I were the client and unable to replace the solo track. Definitley an excellent job IMO.

I hope someday I can approach that quality of sound. :)

Dan
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

dke,

Thanks for listening and critiquing. I think your comment is right on the money about the guitar.

I now think it's a bit loud overall. And, the 'tone' was/is extremely difficult to control. There are, as you put it, some nasty frequencies in there.

Maybe I'll try to invert the Har-Bal EQ curve on the guitar track and remix so that when the Har-Bal EQ is applied to the 'new' mix it'll make it sound similar to the 'old' mix without Har-Bal.. Whatever I said...

It is a negative and a compromise.
Jay

Post by Jay »

dke wrote:The only negative I hear (and this would really be nit picking) is the mastering brought out some of the nasty tones in the solo a bit more than the unmastered version

Ditto. Your remix is clearly superior, IMO, but the git solo is too strident.

Funny thing... I've heard this track before. Many months ago. Was it on this forum? Don't know where, but I know I've heard it.

Jay
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

Possibly. I've been working on this artists' "album" off & on for about 4-5 months.

If it was this song, it had different drums (not BFD). And 'Beat Detective' had yet been used.