Importing Audio from 24 bit CD

Please post your Mixing Question here for Pro Tools, Logic Audio and GigaStudio. Zumbido is our resident expert.

greentreecritter

Importing Audio from 24 bit CD

Post by greentreecritter »

I am a new Protools user. I'm attempting to import audio into Protools from a 24 bit audio CD created by an Alesis Masterlink.

When I attempt to add the song I get a message that says: ".aif must be converted to be used because it is not a mono file"

I don't want to convert the file because I want to retain the quaility. How do I get Protools to allow me to import this file without converting it?

thanks
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

Don't worry. Pro Tools needs to convert this 'stereo .aif' file to TWO mono Sound Designer (.sds) files.

No audio quality is lost - as long as your session is set to 24-bit. If the 'session' is in a different bit-rate and/or sample-rate, PT WILL convert for you, so the new file is compatible with the current session.

After the conversion, you'll see the new audio file in a new stereo track.

Be sure to rename this new file to something that indicates that it belongs to the particular session that you are working in. Also, pay attention to where PT is writing this 'new' file to (i.e., which Audio Files folder). Otherwise, you'll have nameless audio files all over the place.