what it takes to run Pro Tools LE and the Mbox 2

Please post your Mixing Question here for Pro Tools, Logic Audio and GigaStudio. Zumbido is our resident expert.

guitarwizzledizzle

what it takes to run Pro Tools LE and the Mbox 2

Post by guitarwizzledizzle »

I am looking for the next step up from garage band, since I need to be able to multitrack projects longer than 4 or 5 minutes or so. I have an older machine, an IMac 500 MHz g3 , with 256 MB SDRAM, Mac OS 10.4.6, and 8.26 GB left currently left on my drive. In other words, I'm not sure I own the raw power to run pro tools LE. I was considering the Mbox 2 bundle from sweetwater (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MBox2Factory), and was wondering if anyone had tried running any or all of these products on a machine comparable to mine.

Thanks
Phi Lion

Post by Phi Lion »

Hi.

I would stay the hell away from protools Le for many reasons.

But with the current pc you have if you are not in a position to be able to upgrade your pc you will find yourself =running out of power very quickly with Pt Le

You need to find a daw that allows for track freezing as pt le does not plus it does not have ADC, makes it a very annoying platform which is what digidesign wants so that you pay for the big brother hd.

Samplitude would be your best bet but the software alone is hefty.

Look into Cubase or cakewalk or logic saw studio, make sure the one you choose has ADC and the ability to freeze tracks.
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

You need to get a new BIGGER/FASTER computer. Sorry!

You are now 3 generations back - G3, G4, G5, Intel. And, a laptop HD is NOT fast enough - the latency will drive you crazy - and you'll run out of disk space in no time. I've become very proficient at minimizing HD usage - I use, at minimum of, approximately 2 GB per 3-4 minute production - more if you save alternate takes. And, I submix multi-tracked drums (usually 18 tracks) from a second machine to keep my track count down on my main computer.

I won't even get into using plug-ins and VSTs... MORE processing power needed.

If you want to stick with Mac (Garageband upgrade to Logic), I'd suggest getting a used G4 (or even a G5) with a much faster processor (maybe a dual processor but check the compatibility with the software you want), two internal HDs (one for your applications (can be small - 20GB) and the second (larger 80GB+) for your projects and audio. You'd be best served by maximum RAM (1.5 GB), too.

Get an external Firewire HD for back ups.

While your laptop might be good for e-mail... NOT for where you need to be and where current software IS.
guitarwizzledizzle

Post by guitarwizzledizzle »

Sorry, I should have specified, The machine I use is not a laptop (Imac, not Ibook).
zumbido

Post by zumbido »

You're still working on a very limited computer.

I'd suggest finding a refurbished G4 (unless you can get a new G5), max RAM, as fast of a processor as you can get. Move onto Logic Pro (way better MIDI sequencing than Pro Tools and it comes with EXS24). Get a dedicated HD for just the applications and one for audio recording. Also, you'll want a DVD/CD player AND writer. An external drive for back ups.

My favorite sound cards are RME. There are plenty of FW interfaces (MIDI and Audio) that are available instead of a sound card.